MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-12-2001, 11:20 AM   #1
vetteeatr
Registered Member

Post question on fuel system and rear gears and launching

I have a 88 mustang GT whichi was set up for drag racing unfortunately i m poor and cant afford the thing unless i get better gas mileage. It has 3.73 rear gears in it and im guessing this woudl make it get wrose gas mileage. If this is so how much worse mileage would oyu guys think? Secondly my fuel system is crazy it has 36 ibs injectors and all this crap however when i boguht tha car i didnt remebr seeing anythign about a diffrent fuel pump. The car is putting out approximately 350 horses but from what parts it has on it should be at least 400. Could the car not be getting enough fuel? Any ideas. Also i cant launch what so ever i boufght new rear tires but they are slightly less tacky as the old ones just like one level above so i dont get osme lame 15000 miles per tire. But i spin them like crazy. How can i get more tractio? thanks guys
vetteeatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2001, 05:28 PM   #2
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

3.73 ratio rear gears are almost standard for performance-minded Mustangs. The difference in mpg from stock (2.73) gears is fairly small, but if you went that route (2.73 or 3.08 rear gears) it would certainly make launch traction improve and offer slightly better mpg. Cost would be around $400. installed. One option.

Another option would be to leave the rear gears alone and get after-market control arms and shocks for better traction. Same cost.

If you have 36# injectors you very likely have an aftermarket (higher lph) FP.
You can check that out to be certain.
The regulator may still be stock (non-adjustable) or if it's an aftermarket adjustable regulator, it may need to be re-adjusted for better performance.

Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote