MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-28-2001, 03:42 PM   #1
fordmanck
Registered Member

Post Question, maybe a suspension problem?

I've got a friend with a '98 Cobra with your basic bolt-ons, catback exhaust, off-road h-pipe, Eibach lowering springs and pullies. The car has been lowered for over a year and the exhaust has been on for over a year. He came to me today and asked if I would look at something with him on his car. When he takes off under normal conditions, he gets a clunk from what seems to be the left rear of the car. It does it again when the car settles. He has checked basically everything he could think of, exhaust clearance, the springs, the shocks, the driveshaft, etc. but to no avail. I told him I would at least ask you guys to see if anyone has an idea of what else it could be. He's not above taking it somewhere, he's just like us though and would rather do it himself. Thanks in advance.

------------------

94GT Mac Headers, BBK Off-road H-pipe, ASP Pulleys, Pro 5.0 Shifter, 4.10 Gear, Weld in subs, Flowmaster 2 chambers, NOS 150 shot. Best ET 12.34 @ 110.
fordmanck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2001, 05:31 PM   #2
jimberg
Registered Member

Hey, I have a similar problem. I found it though. The left hole on my transmission cross member mount is becoming elongated and shifts sometimes when I accelerate forwards or backwards. Have him drop the tranny cross member and take a look.

To do that easily, have him disconnect the two bolts from the tranny mount and then jack up the tranny. At this point you can remove the bolts for the cross member and check out the mounting holes.

I discovered the problem when I was putting in a new polyurethane mount.

I haven't heard the problem since I put in the new mount, but my old one had 160k miles on it.
------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible

[This message has been edited by jimberg (edited 04-28-2001).]
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote