MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-12-2002, 01:56 AM   #1
Rosco
Registered Member

Question Questions

I have a bunch of questions for everyone here, I'm actually new to this forum as of maybe 2 weeks ago. Last year i purchased a '91 GT 5spd. Man i've had lotsa fun with this as it is all stock except for a steeda short-throw, centerforce dual friction clutch, and Nitto tires. Well it's been quite awhile now, and i'm getting bored with it in stock version. So i've decided to make some changes to it and would appreciate everyone's experience, comments and good old help.

This upcoming summer I have a list of stuff i want to do to it, now i'm not the all knowing person in the world so i'd like your guys help with some stuff. I'm looking to add the following things and was wondering if there was anything else i'd need. I actually wanna make it a street/strip car. Things i'm looking to add

Headers - Possibly Mac Equals or BBK shorties
X-Pipe or H-pipe (is there really a difference?)
2 Chamber Flowmasters
Storman Norman Hood w/ Ram Air Intake
Stalker Front Bumper
I'm gonna get the car painted factory white After i get my hood and front bumper ( anyone know the color code for the White '91's? my door code has been removed)
Upper and Lower Intake manifold
New Rocker arms
Cam
3.55 gears
Subframe connectors

Seriously this is the current list of modifications i have planned for this summer. I was wondering if this is all i'd need for what i have planned, as in do i need bigger injectors and such. Also, not alot of people in my area drive Mustangs so I'm not really sure what parts would be the best for what i've listed. If anyone could help me out with anything I'd really appreciate it. Thanks alot everyone, and I hope to hear from ya soon. Private E-mails can be sent to Blankman@stny.rr.com

- Rosco -
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 02:30 AM   #2
50DAVIDLX

i'm not the most experienced but i have 3:73s and they are the best bang for the buck. if you have a long commute then the 3:55s should be good.

and the "H" pipe i think would work good with the flows that you want.

new 1.7RRs would be a good amount of lift to to what ever cam you decide to get.

Hope that gives you some ideas
Old 03-12-2002, 02:42 AM   #3
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Sounds like a great plan for your stang. Only thing I would do differently is scrap the hood and front bumper in favor of some new heads to compliment the intake/cam.

Do you realize you've got like 4 grand in mods though?

If you've got the cash to do all those at once, you will notice quite a difference!

Good luck!

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 01:45 PM   #4
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

I have heared not to do the intake until you get heads. I would suggest buying them all at the same time in packages. Trick Flow, Edelbrock and Holley all have packages that are matched to each other. There are probably more too. I personally want the Trick Flow heads,intake and cam combo but that will be awhile. (stupid part time 7 dollars an hour high school job) LOL. I would say 3.73's are the best for a 5 spd. I want those too

Later
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 02:30 PM   #5
Rosco
Registered Member

So a good idea would be to wait on the intake until i get some new heads? Sounds like a pretty good idea to me as well, also saving some money with that. I'm gonna go with the 3.55's though because they're more realistic to me because of my usual commute to school and work. I had a question on the exhaust part as well. What have you heard about any headers? I'm looking for something not too pricey but something that would gimme some power and sound. Also what size headers and exhaust flow should i go? Should i stick with the stock 2 1/4 pipes or go for the bigger 2 1/2 pipes? I found someone that said he could install an LX exhaust on my car, (which i've seen before and i'd love to say looks great), anyone ever done that before? 1 more thing, about the cam. I have a friend who has an 89 LX 5.0, and he has a E303 cam. He told me that the only real difference between that and the stock cam is that it has a little higher exhaust lift. Now i was wondering if you guys could recomend something. Thanks alot
5.0 Conversion, Full Saleen ground effects and spoiler, '94 saleen decal set, '93 Saleen Seats, Black interior from a '93, Steeda quadrant, smog pump delete, a/c delete, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, '97 rear differential, aluminum driveshaft, 5 lug conversion, '97 rear disc brakes, southside upper and lower control arms, '99 GT Anniversary wheels, flowtech longtubes, flowtech offroad H-pipe, saleen lowering springs, kyb shocks, caster/camber plates
Old 03-12-2002, 02:35 PM   #6
Rosco
Registered Member

My fault, it's either an B303 or E303 cam.

Rosco
5.0 Conversion, Full Saleen ground effects and spoiler, '94 saleen decal set, '93 Saleen Seats, Black interior from a '93, Steeda quadrant, smog pump delete, a/c delete, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, '97 rear differential, aluminum driveshaft, 5 lug conversion, '97 rear disc brakes, southside upper and lower control arms, '99 GT Anniversary wheels, flowtech longtubes, flowtech offroad H-pipe, saleen lowering springs, kyb shocks, caster/camber plates
Old 03-12-2002, 03:46 PM   #7
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

I wouldn't cam a stock motor, however 1.7 roller rockers would give you some nice hp.

Go with 2 1/2 inch exhaust. Long tube headers are the only way to fly, kind of a PITA to install, but well worth it. You can't install a LX exhaust on your GT(unless you have a Cobra bumper). You can't install tips, but you have to put them at a 45 degree angle(lame, IMO)

Also, just me, but I'd ditch the hood, bumper idea and buy a intake, heads, and a cam. That would REALLY wake up your car. But like I said, that's just me

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 06:50 PM   #8
UK_Stang
Registered Member

I am no expert but I have heard that the X pipe is the way to go on a street car, something to do with the way it flows....

Also, I have just had 3.55's put in my Mustang and they are putting a huge smile on my face at the moment!!!

Definitly agree with everyone else, ditch the body mods idea and go for more power....

Too much is never enough....

Skip
UK_Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 09:52 PM   #9
Rosco
Registered Member

Honestly, there is a way to install LX exhaust on the stangs. But it requires a small cutting of the rear bumper, and if done right it looks terrific. They have actually an article on it on another website, which i'm not gonna say But it does look quite good.

Question about the Headers. So long tube's are the way to go for the most increase in HP? What size would they be off of the collector? Cuz as i said before i was interested in an H or X pipe, so would that fit directly onto the output of the headers? Or do i hafto buy some silly converter?

Ok, now for the heads and what-not. Is there anyplace that has packages for such things as that? I mean, to me that would be the best idea considering it's all been tested together already.

Thanks again Everyone
--| Rosco |--
Old 03-13-2002, 07:03 PM   #10
DRASTiK
Registered Member

IMO, you should definately forget about the stormin norman and the ram air. I know you already have said you're not gonna get it and get heads instead, but I've had the ram air for my hood, and it's not as good as the cold air fenderwell induction. And it's more expensive too.

I'd go with 3.73's instead of 3.55's too.
Dave

RHC member #75

My stang is FOR SALE!!
DRASTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 07:17 PM   #11
mean81GT
Registered Member

Welcome to the site. I agree with alot of the ideas that were given to you, but you haven't told us something. What kind of budget are you on? if you have 5k, then the answers you will receive will be much different than if you have 1500. Know what i mean?

Are you an Ottawa Senators fan? I hear they want to bring their farm team to an arena in your neck of the woods.
Old 03-13-2002, 08:13 PM   #12
Rosco
Registered Member

My budget for this summer will be around $1600 a month, well minus taxes and such. So maybe something around $1300 or less.
I have actually started to price things out now, and found some things and not some things. The only trouble i'm gonna have is making a decision and what brand and Sizes i should go with. I've already decided that i'm gonna go with the American Thunder Exhaust 2.5" Kit from Flowmaster. Aluminum 1.7" RR's, and possibly a E303 or B303 cam ( it's been a couple hours since I've looked at Summit). And I'd like to get a Performer RPM Intake.

Another thing that may help your answers is, I'm looking for more lower then Higher rpm power. I mean serisouly when racing i usually never get above 5200 Rpm.

HEY!! We want our Rangers back! BC ICEMEN suck (haven't gone to a game since the Rangers left us. Just not the same w/o them )

Rosco
Old 03-14-2002, 02:31 AM   #13
tireburner163

True you can cut the bummper.

Yes go with long tubes, they will make much more hp that shorties. It'd go with 1 5/8 inch primaries on the headers. And it will bolt up to a 2 1/2 inch H or X pipe no problem(but you have to buy one made for long tubes. If your going with Flows get a H-pipe. The H-pipe also make more down low.

Also if your looking for power down low, why are you going with a Performer RPM intake that make power higher in the power band?

Holley sells the heads, intake, cam, exc. in a kit called SysteMAX that about 2K or so. I think Trick Flow sells a kit too, as well as Edelbrock. Try flipping through a MM/FF mag, JUST DON'T BUY FROM EXSESSIVE!!!

The B cam is junk, IMO. If your gonna get heads, intake, exc. in a kit they come with a cam that is optimized for the heads and intake. If you decided to buy the heads and intake separate, call the cam manufaturer and ask one of there techs for the best cam for you combo. Like I said before, I wouldn't cam a stock motor, unless heads, exc were coming soon.

1998 HD Electra Elide
Old 03-14-2002, 10:42 AM   #14
Rosco
Registered Member

Hehe, yeah I just realized about the intake yesterday when i actually got time to read about it more detailed. Is the H-pipe I need a short one? or one of the full length pipes. To myself I would think that they are the shorter ones, obvisouly becuase the headers are long..hehe I was thinking about the BBK Long Tube 1-5/8" headers. Only becuase i've heard BBK's are good and they aren't all *that* expensive.

Wow, that systemmax II 350hp kit is nice, the only prob is all the other requirements they said you need for it including

70mm Mass Air Flow Meter
24 or 30 lb./hr. Fuel Injectors
65 mm or larger EGR Spacer
65 mm or larger Throttle Body
190 lb./hr. Fuel Pump
1.6:1 SVO Roller Rocker Arms
Late Model Valve Covers
Adj. Fuel Pressure Regulator
Champion RN14YC Plugs

my only problem with that is that it would cost me and arm and a leg to get everything. Also they recommend that you go with an SVO tranny.
Although I was looking at the 2 kits and the 271 HP one isn't bad at all...the only problem i see it that you hafto use the stock upper intake manifold. But i guess i could just keep that the way it is.

Rosco
Old 03-14-2002, 10:48 AM   #15
Rosco
Registered Member

Just wondering about my last post, if that kit was really 2k, how much you think i'd be looking at for having to buy all that other stuff?

Rosco
Old 03-14-2002, 11:08 AM   #16
mean81GT
Registered Member

yeah, the rangers should have stayed there. I remember going up there and meeting all the guys, and then watchuing them grow with the rangers, only to get traded away when the rangers needed someone.

at 1600 bucks a month, there is quite a few things you can do. reiterate what someone else said " Don't get the intake until you get the heads". When it's all done, come down my way and I'll see if you did a good job by testing it for you
Old 03-14-2002, 11:33 AM   #17
tireburner163

Well I grabed a MAC catalog and Brother's performance warehouse catalog cause they were close and I'm lazy These should give you a ball park figure.

70 mass-air meter- $189.99-209.99(depending on brand)
24 pound injectors- $259.99
65mm EGR spacer- $54.99
65mm throttle body- $179.99 ($189.99 for 70mm)
190lb/hr fuel pump- $119.99
roller rockers- $199.99-349.99(depending on brand)
valve covers- not sure, can't be that much
Adj. Fuel Pressure Regulator- $79.99-129.99(depending on brand)
Champion RN14YC Plugs- just plugs, cheap

So tac another grand onto the price of a SysteMAX II

1998 HD Electra Elide
Old 03-14-2002, 11:38 AM   #18
tireburner163

ahhhhhhh...lookie what I found while flipping through the Brother's catolog.

An Edelbrock stage 3 kit is 2549.99 and includes
Performer 5.0 intake
BBK 70mm throttle body
BBK EGR plate(and intake gaskets)
Pro-M 75mm Mass-air meter
Crane 1.7 roller rockers
5.0 alumunum heads
Crane 2040 cam
BBK 1 5/8" equal length headers

1998 HD Electra Elide
Old 03-14-2002, 04:20 PM   #19
DRASTiK
Registered Member

If money is going to be a problem, then look at the classified adds on the mustang websites and on EBAY. You take a gamble when you buy used stuff, but you also can save an arm and a leg. For example you can almost always find used 24# injectors for 150. If you can afford all new stuff, then by all means go for it. Just a thought.
Dave

RHC member #75

My stang is FOR SALE!!
DRASTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 05:10 PM   #20
mean81GT
Registered Member

excessive motorsports makes power packages. they guarantee certain 1/4 times out of each kit. but i remember reading somewhere someone said to stay away from excessive. have no experience with them, so i can't say either way.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: