MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-13-2002, 05:57 AM   #1
LetsGo
Registered Member

Default Questions about Quad Shocks???

I would like to remove the quad shocks on my 91 stang. What is the purpose of the quad shocks. If I do remove them what would I use in there place. I am also looking to upgrade my shocks what would be some good choices.
LetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 09:03 AM   #2
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb Shocks

Not sure why you feel the need to remove the quad shocks other than for tire clearance, which is common. They don't do any harm and actually can help because the quad shocks are there to help prevent wheelhop on hard launches.

You can replace the rear control arms with HD aftermarket pieces and that would have a very positive effect on your launches.

I like KYB shocks as a replacement for stock on a mild street - driven Mustang. For more serious shock work, consider Koni (very expensive) or Tokico.

I wouldn't spend big bucks on rear shocks unless you intend to do some serious high-speed cornering on a regular basis. If not, high-dollar adjustable shocks are overkill.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 10:46 PM   #3
jrgoffin
Registered Member

The quads came in during the mid-80's when Ford changed the front bushing on the lower control arms. The newer bushing is bigger (oval) and has more give to it. The quads are there to dampen the side-to-side axle movement that can show up thanks to the spongier bushing. I went with poly bushings in the lowers and left the quads on for the heck of it with no problems at all. For the money, get Bilsteins!
Old 07-14-2002, 04:52 AM   #4
LetsGo
Registered Member

thank you for the info. I would like to go wider on the rear tires but did not know what to do. when I look at the quad shocks I just took a guess that I would not beable to go wider with them on. would a 17x9 fit on the rear with 265 40 rubber?
thanks for the help Mr 50 and jrgoffin
LetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 02:09 PM   #5
Lethal5Oh
Registered Member

I have 17x11 wheels with 275-40 on the rear. I have a small amount of wheel rubbing when makeing tight turns. The rubbing is on the quad.
'95 GT convert. K&N, C&L mass air meter, Performance distributors sreamin demon coil, dyna mod, live wires, king cobra clutch, flowmaster american thunder exhaust, UPR billet adjustable shift handle, Crane Cams Fireball HI-6 box,underdrive pullies, 255lph fuel pump, UPr short throw shifter, caster camber plates, 03 cobra lower A arms, bullit suspension, cobra front brakes
Lethal5Oh is offline   Reply With Quote