MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-24-2002, 08:44 PM   #1
BlackFireN2O
Registered Member

Question Questions on Roll Cages, Welding, and Ignition

I was thinking of getting the Competition Engineering 10pt roll cage from Summit Racing. Their 8pt roll bar is said to have 1-3/4" x .134" mild steel tubing, but when i had checked the 10pt cage its description stated having 1-5/8" x .134" mild steel tubing. Does the 10pt cage have thinner tubing than the 8pt, and why? Or is the 1-5/8" tubbing description just referring to the upper halo and the two bars from the halo to the floor of the car? And is CE as good a company in roll cages ad Maximum Motorsports, becase the MM 6pt roll bar is $350 whereas the CE 10pt roll cage is $250.

I think i might do the welding myself because labor can be pretty expensive, and from what i gather, there is a short quantity of quality shops in the New York Area. How hard is it to weld your own stuff, how long does it take to lean to weld? Are there any books that i can read that will get me started on how to select welding equipment? And do you think it is worth the time to learn how to weld and weld your own things, or should i go to a shop and have them weld things for me. Answer these welding questions with quality and "money-saving" in mind.

Some ignition boxes have something called a starting retard function and are adjustable from 0* to 20*. What are these supposed to accomplish and what is a good starting retard timing? Plenty Thanks and sorry for this being so long!!
BlackFireN2O is offline   Reply With Quote