MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-28-2001, 12:30 AM   #1
xspeed02
Registered Member

Question Quick Question about a Tune Up

I'm basically taking the car out for the first time since winter started and I noticed it definately needs a tune up. Other than a Rotor,Cap,Pcv Valve, Wires, and Plugs.. Anything else I should get to tune up the car? Any suggestions on the brand of spark plugs? A guy I used to work with told me to use Motorcraft Plugs, but then I've heard good things about the Bosch Platinum +4's... Any help would be appreciated guys, I've neglected my pony for too long and I want to make sure its running tip top shape. Oh I'm purposely excluding the oil change. I'm already ontop of that. As well as the other fluids.

Incase it mattered, its basically stock with the few basic mods. Full exhaust, Screen removal from the Mass Air sensor, K&N Filter, etc etc. You know the drill.
xspeed02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 01:13 AM   #2
84_GT350
Registered Member

I use Motorcraft plugs and they're fine...especially for a mainly stock motor. Those Bosch plugs are pretty much a waste seeing as how they're around $5 per plug. That's $40 man. I always make it a point to change my fuel and air filters during tune-ups as well.

------------------
1984 1/2 GT350 (#842 Hatchback w/ T-tops), 302HO, Comp cams Xtreme Energy cam, Carter 625cfm carb, Weiand Stealth intake, MSD distributor, MSD coil, FMS 9mm wires, 1 5/8" MAC unequal shorties, 2 1/2" MAC Prochamber H-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chambers, KYBs, 16"x8" 4 lug Cobra Rs, Falken 245/45ZR16s
84_GT350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 01:20 AM   #3
xspeed02
Registered Member

I figured they were probably a waste of cash. As far as the air filter I have a K&N, I'll check it but its probably fine. As for the Fuel Filter, aren't they like a major pain in the *** to change? Or is there a trick to the trade. My father mentioned that you need a jack to get to it, and at my fathers place he doesn't have any concrete... So, guess I'll have to go find a friend with a jack. Thanks again.
Old 03-28-2001, 10:53 AM   #4
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

naw the fuel filter is cake to change..10 minutes with a screwdriver and needlenose pliar..as for bosh platnumz..
any platnum is a waste of $$ and performance...get regalar old copper plugs..autolite, motorsport, ac/delco..you get better power and they only cost $.99-1.50

------------------
1987 black notch(ex 4 banger)
DSS 306 w/ main support...Elderbrock 6028 heads..gt-40 intake..24# injectors...70 mm tb..77 pro-m...accel 300+..mac full legnth..tremec w/ pro5oh...full MAC exhaust,off road h-pipe,long tubes, catback...ron davis radiator..subframes, control arms...CFDF II..o yea holley FPR sucks..dont buy one..
AIM=onesillynotch
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 02:08 PM   #5
xspeed02
Registered Member

Thanks for the info LX. The fuel pump has been making a louder whine than normal. I'm pretty sure its the original unit. I'm hoping its just a dirty fuel filter... but I pretty much expect to be changing the fuel pump soon. The guy that owned the car before me kinda took good care of the car, but was fairly clueless. So I'm ending up cleaning up his mistakes. Well atleast I know it'll be done right now.