MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-02-2001, 06:54 PM   #1
Rev
Registered Member

Post Esort Passport 8500 Radar detectors......opinions

Think it's about time for a new detector as mine's about 10 yrs. old. Figure $300 list and about $260 on Ebay is about as good as I'm gonna get. All opinions appreciated.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.

[This message has been edited by Rev (edited 08-02-2001).]
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 01:19 AM   #2
inferno
The Instigator

From what I have been reading, it is the best one out right now....I am looking at getting one too.
inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 11:59 AM   #3
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

I got a COBRA, I couldn't be more pleased.

------------------
3:55's,BBK Off-Road H-pipe,BBK jet-hot coated equal length shorty headers,BBK 70mm Throttle Body,BBK adjustable clutch quadrant,C & L 76mm Mass air meter, PRO 5.0, Subframe connectors, Trick Flow Intake,Flowmaster Force II exhaust system, moroso battery relocation kit, strut tower brace, 4 inch harwood cool hood,

1989 Chevy S-10, EX. Cab-383(500+hp on motor), trick flow heads, trick flow pistons, etc... autometer phantom gauges, "built" 700R4, roll cage, lexan back window, corbeau seats, R.
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 01:44 PM   #4
jimberg
Registered Member

Radar detectors are a big waste of money. $260 would be better spent on performance mods.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 04:54 PM   #5
Rev
Registered Member

But jimberg, if it saves your a$$ only once from a high dollar ticket (street racing, etc.), wouldn't it be worthwhile?

Rev

------------------
1/4 mi.
Old 08-03-2001, 05:36 PM   #6
jimberg
Registered Member

You don't need to be speeding to be busted for street racing so a cop doesn't need to use a radar or laser to write the ticket. In fact, when you start to rely on them too much you become even more inattentive and more likely to get a ticket. If you actually get pulled over and the cop sees your radar detector, you can kiss any chance of getting off with a warning goodbye.

While you're humming along at above the speed limit with your radar detector issuing no warnings, you can be paced by a trooper on the ground or timed by an airplane.

There's no replacement for good old fashioned common sense and keeping your wits about you. Spend the dough on go fast goodies.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 06:51 PM   #7
Rev
Registered Member

I try to keep a good lookout, but I can't see over hills or around corners. My radar detector can at least to some extent (bouncy, bouncy).

I think one needs everything he can get. Still, the laser guns can get you in the wink of an eye with very little warning.

I agree, nothing's foolproof. We do need eveything going for us that we can legally get. That's my thought anyway.

Rev

------------------
1/4 mi.

[This message has been edited by Rev (edited 08-03-2001).]
Old 08-03-2001, 07:52 PM   #8
Vector
Registered Member

Don't downplay radar detectors to any extent. They work, and sometimes very well. If you are cruising along on the highway with cruise control set to 100mph, you can be warned of a cop radar often up to a mile away, sometimes more. This combined with constant vigilance will reduce your chances of being busted. Often speed traps cannot be seen untill too close, and if those traps are employing radar then they can be detected well ahead of when you get to them.

And what about in the dark? You can't see a damn thing then, those pair of headlights up ahead could be anything from a fellow Mustang to a white Crown Victoria. Plus you'll be able to detect ghost cars if they are using radar.

Personaly I believe radar detectors are worth the investment.
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 08:57 PM   #9
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

My radar detector has warned me a couple miles before almost every speed trap, actually all of them, if it saves you once, it's paid for. If you do happen to get pulled over, pull that sucker off the window! =P Also my friend was also like you JIM, saying stuff like "ahhhh there useless they don't even work, big waste of money." I said try it out, he said ok. Then we were driving and it started going off, and he was like see it has false alarms, and we went over this hill, and about 1-2 miles from where it started going off, there was a highway patrol just sitting there with his radar gun. Now see I have a cobra model, and it talks to me, instead of just beeping, it tells you exactly what radar is being detected etc.... Now the cheaper ones will go off ALL the time. But buy a good one for around $130 or so, and you won't be dissappointed, the first time it proves to you , you will have a big =P on your face.

------------------
1989 GT, 3:55's, full exhaust, 4 in. hood, Pro 5.0, etc... etc...

1989 Chevy S-10, EX. Cab-383(500+hp on motor), trick flow heads, trick flow pistons, etc... autometer phantom gauges, "built" 700R4, roll cage, lexan back window, corbeau seats, R.H.S. 5 harnesses, Fuel cell, convo pro wheels, 15x14's with 29x18.5 M/T'S on back, 15x4's on front, nitrous, and so much more!

http://www.geocities.com/i8urvpr/JM.html
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 10:10 PM   #10
CobraFire98
Registered Member

Lightbulb

Actually, the police are required to have you 'clocked' by radar to issue a ticket. It's a fact; at least in Texas anyway. My radar has saved my a$$ a couple of times, especially on the flat trip from Austin to Houston, but like you said 'jimberg' common sense DOES go a long way. By the way, I have a Cobra as well. Pretty dependable!

------------------
Tony
1998 Cobra
CobraFire98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2001, 12:40 AM   #11
inferno
The Instigator

Quote:
Originally posted by CobraFire98:
Actually, the police are required to have you 'clocked' by radar to issue a ticket. It's a fact; at least in Texas anyway.
In Cali they can pace you but they have to pace you for a mile at the speed you were at and call in to dipatch when they start the pace for verification.
inferno is offline   Reply With Quote