MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-20-2001, 10:37 PM   #1
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Thumbs down No spark=Engine not running..How can I tell if I got spark???

This question is for my cousin. He has a 89GT with a new 302 engine that hasn't been started for over a year. It's bored with little add-on's and a B cam. But he wants to get her going again and can't get any spark. His ignition is stock but the coil has been replaced. He told me he knows it'd getting no spark b/c he pulled a plug, left it connected to the plug wires, and upon ignition the engine cranked but he had no spark. I know how to check for spark in my MSD 6AL but not a stock setup. Any help would be appreciated.
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2001, 01:26 AM   #2
D&R Stang

Why would there be a different process to check for spark with MSD? If he has no spark, then run a KOEO test. Maybe his TFI ignition module is bad and his ignition is fine, then again maybe not.

------------------
Dave & Robin 88 GT, T5
306, polished crank, Speed Pro Powerforged pistons, ARP rod bolts, underdrive Crank pulley, 73mm MAF, Xtreme Energy Cam, 3.73's, 1-5/8 unequal length headers, Offroad H-pipe, 2 chamber flowmasters, turn-downs, King Cobra Clutch, Steeda adjustable clutch cable with firewall adjuster, 190lph fuel pump, Hurst Shifter, MSD 6AL and coil
Old 10-21-2001, 01:59 PM   #3
jetuomi
Registered Member

or get a new distributor point

------------------
94 GT (triple black)
FMS 95 17" Cobra R's / AL Driveshaft / 3.27's
K&N, 190 lph, subframes, pulleys
MAC Shifter/Gauges/Pedals, Euro Clear Projectors & Corners
My CAR!

jetuomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2001, 02:06 PM   #4
Five0
Registered Member

Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think he will see a spark with the plug out of the block unless he touches it to groung somewhere. The spark has to have a ground for she spark to want to travel through the plug.

------------------
James Cox
nochevy@hotmail.com
1991 Mustang LX
Five0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2001, 08:49 PM   #5
D&R Stang

Just pull the plug wire off of the coil, and turn the motor over. If it's firing spark, then you'll hear it popping.
Old 10-22-2001, 11:40 AM   #6
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Thanks guys. I'll tell him what you've said and hopefully we'll get it going. He also told me last night that the car died WHILE he was driving it. I don't know what that means but I know he wants it running again ASAP.
Old 10-23-2001, 07:58 AM   #7
jetuomi
Registered Member

check the TFI unit, or the distributor point... could be coil too.. fuel pump??

(does the car start right back up when it stalls out?) does he hear the fuel pump prime when it stalls out and he restarts it?
jetuomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2001, 11:39 AM   #8
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

He was driving the car about 6 mos. ago when it died on him. he assumed it was b/c of low fuel so he put some in (about a half a tank). It cranked but wouldn't fire. It's been sitting even since and it'll still crank with the pump running (humming) but won't fire. he did say that when he put the new engine in he used the old distributor with a new cap and rotor.
Old 10-23-2001, 01:20 PM   #9
richd
Registered Member

Did he ever have the ignition switch replaced (recall item)?

Check it by shorting the positive terminal (clip onto lead coming from battery) of the starter relay (near the battery) with the positive side of the coil (wire closest to engine). Then crank it. If it starts then you probably have a bad switch. You can also check it by watching the guages when key is turned to the run position. If the guages don't activate (watch voltage guage mainly) that would also indicate a switch failure.

Any Ford dealership will replace the switch free of charge (safety recall).

Good luck and hope this helps,

Rich D.
richd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2001, 01:24 PM   #10
PKRWUD

Have him try and start it. After 10 seconds of cranking it over, have him pull a spark plug and see if it's wet. If it's dry, it's a fuel problem. If it's wet, he needs to verify spark. While the plug is out, attach it to the plug wire and rest it on the intake. Crank it over and look for a spark. If there's a spark, he needs to verify the ignition timing by setting it at TDC after the compression stroke, and verify the rotor position. If there's no spark, he needs to verify the coil is working. This can be done the same way he checks to see if the plug is firing (attach a plug to the coil wire, and ground it by resting it on the intake). If the coil is working, he needs to inspect the cap and rotor for damage. If the coil is not firing, he needs to check the TFI module. The easiest method is to replace it with a known good module.

Replace parts as deemed defective.

Take care,
-Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: Peckerwoods Pit Stop

My teams site: Jim Porter Racing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN.
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 11:53 AM   #11
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Chris- OK, I got it. Thanks for the checklist! We will attack it Friday or Saturday after yanking my engine (that's if I didn't lose my garage time). I never thought of placing the plug on the intake for a ground source.

RichD- I will have him check the ignition switch. I never knew it was a recall item. Was it just recalled only on the 89's??

Thanks gentlemen! I'll pass on the valuable info and return with some results ASAP
Old 10-24-2001, 03:18 PM   #12
richd
Registered Member

No, the recall spanned something like 86 through 92 and a majority of Ford's lineup at the time. I wouldn't have known about it either had it not happened almost immediately after I bought my 89 lx 5.0.

If you have the VIN number on you call a local Ford dealership. They can tell from the VIN if the switch has ever been replaced.

While you're at it, replace the starter solenoid as well. When they fail they seem to like shorting the big fat positive cable to the body, causing a flume of smoke after a few seconds. And in my case, right in the middle of a busy intersection!

Good luck,

Rich D.
richd is offline   Reply With Quote