MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-08-2004, 09:57 PM   #1
Lethal5Oh
Registered Member

Default reading spark plugs

I pulled a few of my plugs the other day to see what they were looking like because my cars been guzzling gas (10-13 mpg, not normal especially with the ignition ive got on it) all of the plugs are WHITE, like brand new white. This makes me think the car is running lean. DOes this sound right? or am i looking at a possible head gasket failure?
'95 GT convert. K&N, C&L mass air meter, Performance distributors sreamin demon coil, dyna mod, live wires, king cobra clutch, flowmaster american thunder exhaust, UPR billet adjustable shift handle, Crane Cams Fireball HI-6 box,underdrive pullies, 255lph fuel pump, UPr short throw shifter, caster camber plates, 03 cobra lower A arms, bullit suspension, cobra front brakes
Lethal5Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 08:45 PM   #2
Simi Stang

Default white plugs

What is your fuel pressure at? When is the last time you changed your fuel filter? Is your check engine light on? Even if it is not on...read the KOEO & KOER tests. That might give you an idea of somewhere to start.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:06 PM   #3
Lethal5Oh
Registered Member

Fuel pressure is at 35, that with the AFPR it was thirty with the stocker. Fuel filter was changed not long ago. I dont have the updated chip for my Snap on scanner so i cant get codes right now. The check engine light is not on.
'95 GT convert. K&N, C&L mass air meter, Performance distributors sreamin demon coil, dyna mod, live wires, king cobra clutch, flowmaster american thunder exhaust, UPR billet adjustable shift handle, Crane Cams Fireball HI-6 box,underdrive pullies, 255lph fuel pump, UPr short throw shifter, caster camber plates, 03 cobra lower A arms, bullit suspension, cobra front brakes
Old 02-10-2004, 01:44 PM   #4
Simi Stang

Default fuel psi.

Being that you are still basically stock...I'd keep your fuel psi. at the stock setting. Which is 38psi. w/ the vacuum line attached. If the plugs are still white after a few days at that pressure...I'd bump it up a little more. As far as scanning for codes go...you don't need a scanning tool. Just use a jumper wire on the EEC-IV plug in the engine compartment...right next to the brake booster on the driver's side of the engine compartment, near the firewall. Follow a manual on how to do it...or search here for scanning codes. It's very easy and doesn't require a scan tool.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:30 PM   #5
Lethal5Oh
Registered Member

yeah i guess i could do that. the only problem with turning the pressure up any more is that my fuel pump is on its way out. with the stock regulator is was at 30 psi. I turned it up to 35 and now the fuel pump is whinning real loud. I guess itll have to stay this way for awhile until i can afford to buy a new pump. thanks