MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-11-2002, 06:22 AM   #1
PKRWUD

Question Ready for 42 Volt Automotive Systems?

I had no intention of starting this thread, but after I mentioned it's subject in another thread, a member was chastised for replying to it, rather than to the original topic of that thread. So, here it is, for anyone who wants to talk about the incredible changes that lie just around the corner.

Are you ready for the 42 volt electrical systems that will become the norm in ten years or less? I hope so, because it's already starting. Why a new system, you ask? The fact is, there is so much electrical content in todays vehicles - let alone what's on the drawing board - that the present electrical systems are being taxed to the limit. It is estimated that there will be upward of 300 sensors incorporated into vehicles within the next several years. The ability for the charging systems and batteries to produce and maintain voltage is being outpaced by the vehicles electrical demand. Simply put, we're running out of electricity.

Will the new 42 volt systems really improve vehicles? You better believe it! Reduced emissions, improved fuel economy, and expanding the use of electrical / electronic components are among the key factors. By converting many of the hydraulic and mechanical systems to electrically driven components, there will be an immediate reduction of work energy from the engine realized, thus improving fuel economy and emissions. This includes eliminating the engines need to turn any belts. The water pump, power steering, and air conditioning will all become electrically controlled. Further, the camshaft is soon to be a thing of the past. Valves will become electromagnetic actuation systems. Also on the way out are mechanical oil pumps.

Additionally, the actual weight of the wiring and some other components will be reduced. Parts can be made smaller and lighter due to less amperage required. In fact, it is estimated that the wiring bundle size will actually be as much as 20% smaller than it is today.

Then there's the performance aspect. Anything that is computer controlled can and will be tweaked for more power. Imagine driving a car that idles smooth enough to balance a pyramid of full champagne glasses on the hood, without spilling a drop (remember that commercial?), can be driven throughout the legal speed limits without ever detecting the transmission shifting gears, has a top speed as high as your balls are big, does the 1/4 mile in 12 seconds, and gets 50 miles per gallon, all running on 87 octane. These performance programming tweaks may be a few years farther down the road, but no more than 20 total. 15 years, from now, is more likely.

For reference, these systems will be referred to as either 42/14, or 36/12, at first. There are two reasons for this. First off, the 42 (36) represents the main system voltage, which is 3 times what we currently use. The battery in your car now is mistakenly called a 12 volt battery. It's actually a 12.68 volt battery, and the system in your car is a 14 volt system. (check your battery voltage sometime when the engine is at 2000 rpms). If your battery measures 12.06 volts when everything is turned off, it's actually only got a 25% state of charge. Still, some people will have trouble with the math when it comes to multiplying current system voltage by three, so expect to see both 42 and 36 (14 x 3 = 42, & 12 x 3 = 36) used as the number for the new systems. Just know that they are both exactly the same. The reason for the addition of a 14 or 12 in the name of the system type is because initially, the systems will also support current automotive electrical devices, to ease the changeover. However, these dual voltage systems will not be around for very long.

You can expect to start to see the 42/14 (36/12) systems in production vehicles within 7 years. Maybe sooner.

Also, as a footnote, this is going to mean a whole bunch of new diagnostic tools, as well as the understanding that while 12 volts dc can't hurt you, 42 can. Be careful!

Take care,
-Chris

P.S. Jim- I posted this in your forum because it was here that the original thread was where this subject came up (as you know). My feelings won't be hurt if you would prefer it in the lounge.
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 06:39 AM   #2
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

WOW, that is very interesting!

NewEngland Auto www.baystategearheads.com
-91 Mustang Coupe, ex 4cyl (sold)
-99 F150, 3" lift, 35" Procomps, Magnaflow exhaust
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 09:11 AM   #3
srv1
Get down.....

Exclamation Re: Ready for 42 Volt Automotive Systems?

Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD
Further, the camshaft is soon to be a thing of the past.
HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT!!! PUSHRODS FOREVER BABY!

well Chris, when i was in college in 94, they were teaching us a little bit about the valve actuated solenoids. i believe Cadillac was one of the first to bring it up. we also read about the 42/14 systems. we did not study it, but we talked about it. just think. you can change your so called "cam profile" with a laptop! i like the idea of all this, but i believe the quality of these parts being made is going to be a problem. the idea is good, too bad the craftsmanship of these electrical compnents are crappy. just look at todays cars. the sensors are made cheaply. how many times have you replaced TFI in Fords? or how about the modules in GM distributors? it would be cool to see it in action, but i think it would be just easier to keep on the hybrid theory with the 42/14 system. i only know a little about the hybrids. i dont know what their electrical system voltage is running at.

whats next, an electrical motor to replace the cranikshaft assembly? could you imagine an electrical motor pushing the pistons and rods? who knows...maybe i should make a W8 motor instead?.....
Old 05-11-2002, 11:48 AM   #4
PKRWUD

Yeah, I've heard about this plan for years, too, but it's really starting to come to a head now. Part quality will be important, but remember that by requiring less amperage, they can be made smaller and lighter, so who knows.

As far as hybrid voltage, it can be shocking (pun intended). The Toyota Pruis, for example, uses a sealed nickel-metal hydride battery pack made up of 228 1.2V cells. That works out to 273.6 Vdc. The Honda Insight uses a 144 Vdc pack, and the RAV4-EV's pack is 288 Vdc. Might give you a shock, eh?

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 05-11-2002, 12:03 PM   #5
gtsr515
Registered Member

God! I hope all that stuff never happens! I love my 12 volt, loud, heavy, gas guzzling, high emission, mechanical, and hydraulic car as it is!!! LOL.

My buddy saw this thing on T.V once about Pneumatic valvetrain though? ( sorry, Chris, had to do it )
Old 05-11-2002, 12:31 PM   #6
PKRWUD

What channel?

Better yet, what kind of TV does he have?

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 05-11-2002, 03:12 PM   #7
gtsr515
Registered Member

LOL! Stay cool Chris! I wish my sense of humor had the "depth" your does!
Old 05-12-2002, 11:01 AM   #8
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

Default Re: Ready for 42 Volt Automotive Systems?

Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD

Also, as a footnote, this is going to mean a whole bunch of new diagnostic tools, as well as the understanding that while 12 volts dc can't hurt you, 42 can. Be careful!

Take care,
-Chris

P.S. Jim- I posted this in your forum because it was here that the original thread was where this subject came up (as you know). My feelings won't be hurt if you would prefer it in the lounge.
my unlce told me about this system about 3 months ago for something to do with his job firefighter/fire inspector and he said that the volatge was as high as they can go in DC without being harmfull to people???i guess we will have to see when the first person to get one and sticks is tougne on one terminal and his other wet hand on the body

should be out on all high end cars real soon and soon to be used on everthing else

you think i will have charging problems if i put pullies on my 2013 mustang????

You might want to hold on..i saw this on a cartoon once
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote