MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-13-2002, 11:11 PM   #1
scale
Registered Member

Default bbk unequals and stock H pipe :(

I have been working on getting my new headers in the past few nights after work and after getting them in i cant get my stock H to line up on the drivers side. THe pass. side is great but the drivers side flange on the stock h needs to be rotated about 10 degrees clock wise for the holes to line up so i get get the studs though. I havent pulled out my h due to the emissions pipe that runs up under the hood. I cant get the bugger off the h. I was going to cut it and find a spacer for it and clamp it back into place but i would rather not. THe stock h flanges do not rotate on the h pipe and if they do...well mines just a bit too rust to get it to budge. Any recommendations? I dont own a torch but i was thinking of getting a small thing of mapp gas and heating my h pipe up just south of the o2 sensor, using a large *** pipe wrench and tweeking (twisting) it to fit. I am about out of options otherwise. Does anyone have any recommendations? I dont wanna buy a new H pipe right now even though i should. I would rather wait until next winter when i can afford it.

Btw...it is a 91lx coupe, 5.0 with stock h and mac cat back system and bbk ceramic unequals.

any feed back would be appreciated. I cant wait to get this thing back together. Still working on polishing the engine...talk about elbow grease......

thanks
1991 LX coupe,AOD, red, 80k, K&N, MAC cat back, MAC off-road X, Autometer Gauges, BBK Ceramic unequals, fully polished upper intake, fuel rails, and egr, working on installing.....MM full length subs, H&R sport springs, MM Lower control arms, MM caster camber plates, bilstein shocks, struts.
scale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 07:27 AM   #2
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

It's kinda hard to trouble shoot this without seeing the car, but I'll give it a shot...

Did you try turning the flange that's on the header? I have MAC unequ headers and I can turn mine. I also have a set of BBK long tubes that are waiting to be stuffed in. I can't remember if they turn or not It's been a while since I had the stock H-pipe. I thought those flanges turned as well...

Sounds like I ain't being much help..... If that didn't work, I would try to "bend" the H-pipe to see if it will fit. If I couldn't do that... then I would just run open header
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 08:01 AM   #3
scale
Registered Member

my bbks are welded at the flange so they dont turn and my stock h wont turn either. I think it is crimped or maybe welded as well. I cant tell....it is a bit rusty. I think i am going to heat it up and twist the whole damn pipe.
1991 LX coupe,AOD, red, 80k, K&N, MAC cat back, MAC off-road X, Autometer Gauges, BBK Ceramic unequals, fully polished upper intake, fuel rails, and egr, working on installing.....MM full length subs, H&R sport springs, MM Lower control arms, MM caster camber plates, bilstein shocks, struts.
scale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 09:20 AM   #4
LX5liter
dude5l

The flange on the stock H-pipe does turn. If your going to use heat anyway, heat up the flange to loosen the rust and give it a few good whacks with a 3 pound sledge and it will break free. I wouldn't twist the pipe. If it has any corrosion at all it will probably rip.

Brad R.
1992 L.X. 5.0 coupe
MODS: A few little bolt ons
New Best time ...11.60 @ 128 mph @ 2000+ ft altitude.

Rice Haters Club member #39

Users rides #2542
LX5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 11:41 AM   #5
Dark Knight
Registered Member

that tube comes out up top...a Y-shaped hose from the air pump... pretty easy to take off. ;-)
13.58@102.84 and a '68 stang .. project 8 sec street car... 557 big block + N20 :-)
http://members.cox.net/darkknight302/68nwrear.jpg
Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: