MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-20-2002, 09:53 AM   #1
Frankenstang65
Registered Member

Default Finally raced a REAL car

So, a couple of days ago, I was heading home at around midnight and I see what looks like a Mustang coming up fast from way back. I maintain speed and keep an eye on him in the rear view for while as he gets closer and closer. Just then I notice the light go yellow about two blocks up, my pulse responds with a quickened pace because I know that its about to be race time . A few seconds after I reach a full stop at the light the guy pulls up beside me. He throws a couple of long revs as I causually look over. It is a mustang alright, a black 99 cobra to be exact. I was like "Oh man, now I'm in for it", becuase up untill now I've spent all of my time jousting little ricers and not real cars.

Anyways, the light goes green and we both ease it off the line in a slow cruise (about 20 mph or so). He wasn't sure if the old stang wanted to play so he waits for my move. I drop it into first and give it a little punch just so he knows I'm serious. When he gets dead even with me I nail it, and spin like crazy for a few seconds, and then start leaving him behind. I shift into second at 4500 (I know I should've held it longer), and by that time he's about 3/4 of a car back. I really mash on it once I hit 2nd and break it loose again, I let off for an instant and get right back on, but because of my mistake, his nose is now at my back tire. I push the pedal down hard in second and start pulling away fast. By the time I shift into third he's almost two cars back.

I shifted out of second a little early, and even let off the gas a bit before I hit third (I know, What was I thinking?). My rpms were way down in third (at about 60 mph) and I couldn't get the old stang to pick up the pace. Ever since I hit third the cobra was gaining on me, slowly, but gaining nevetheless. As his bumper gets around my rear tire, I hear that snake really start to wind up. A few seconds later he scoots on by ( around 75-80 mph).

I think I could've held him off a little longer if I had just nailed it in third to begin with and then dropped it into second at around 40 mph, then shifted back into third when 2nd reached 5200 or so. What do you guys think? What does a 99 snake run in the 1/4 anyways? Just curious.

Sorry for the long post, but I had to share it.

Later.
1965 Coupe: 351W, comp cam, Aluminum Systemax II heads (2.02/1.60), 1.7 Cobra full roller rockers, Edelbrock intake, Holley 650 double pumper, Mallory Unilite, MSD-6AL, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD heli-core plug wires, Hedman headers, 2 1/2" exhaust (GT style) w/ 40 series delta flows, 69 C4 w/ shift kit, shelby traction bars, 3.55:1 rear

Daily Driver:
1989 GT- 5spd, K&N (no silencer), Shorty Headers, King Cobra Clutch, Flowmaster Force II Cat-back
Frankenstang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 10:08 AM   #2
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Sounds like a good encounter.

99+ Cobra's can run 13.2-13.7 depending on driver, etc. They're quick. What do you run?

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 02:17 AM   #3
Frankenstang65
Registered Member

I haven't had a chance to get it to the track. Right now I would proabably run around a 14.0 or so, just because of bad traction. I can't wait to find out. I figure the car is capable of a 13.4-13.7 with a sound launch.
1965 Coupe: 351W, comp cam, Aluminum Systemax II heads (2.02/1.60), 1.7 Cobra full roller rockers, Edelbrock intake, Holley 650 double pumper, Mallory Unilite, MSD-6AL, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD heli-core plug wires, Hedman headers, 2 1/2" exhaust (GT style) w/ 40 series delta flows, 69 C4 w/ shift kit, shelby traction bars, 3.55:1 rear

Daily Driver:
1989 GT- 5spd, K&N (no silencer), Shorty Headers, King Cobra Clutch, Flowmaster Force II Cat-back
Frankenstang65 is offline   Reply With Quote