MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-10-2001, 09:54 AM   #1
John R. Mustang
Registered Member

Post Worthwhile?

I am currently rebuilding the engine in my 89 daily driver and have it torn apart. My question is: I have an e-cam laying around, should I use it on my engine? I am running ported stock heads and intake (mild/moderate port job) with long tube headers and an x-pipe. I am already upgrading the valve sprigs. Should I just stick with the stock cam or will the e cam give me some extra power/torque. Thanks alot!!
John R. Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 10:59 AM   #2
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

Cool

Since the engine is apart, definately swap to another cam. The E cam will boost power, but I am not familiar if that is a good cam for your combo. The Stock cam is pretty nice but always room for improvment

------------------
Frank W
90 5.0 LX coupe Daily driver. K&N filter. Flexalite fan, 3 core radiator. FMS flywheel and Clutch, FMS blue wires Energy Suspension end links, MAC 2.5" cat back FMS aluminum driveshaft, MSD blaster coil, MAC shifter
88 Notch 2.3L FOR SALE! My two Notchbacks

74 Chevy Laguna Type S-3 305 Finally fixed getting a 454 to put in garage
<A HREF="http://www.chevellepages.com/f
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 11:29 AM   #3
Coupe Devil

Yeah use it, that should help the low end torque more than anything I think. Since use upgrading springs I say go for it. What spring pressure are you using?

------------------
'93 lx notch 4 banger (drive it to work currently), Using the 306, 8.8 posi, 4.10's, summit rear cover, elec. fan, cowl hood, wieand stealth intake, holley 650 d.p.carb., built c-4, e-303, full autometer guages, msd box, mallory unilite dist, and coil, roll cage, summit seat, subs, 15x10's in the back with slicks, skinnies up front, all in use for 1988 Hatch Drag Car. Hope to start running next year. Hoping for 7.20's after all is done with small motor.
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 01:35 PM   #4
John R. Mustang
Registered Member

Is there anyone out there who has ran the e-303 cam with stock heads and intake(ported or unported)? If so how did it run? Did it have any low end power or was it all above 3000 rpm? Also how was the gas mileage?
Thanks!!
Old 10-10-2001, 04:46 PM   #5
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

i would say put the e-cam in. it shouldn't really hurt u. it won't work as good cause of the stock heads, but u said there ported so that might make a difference. i have a e-cam with stock un-ported heads, and have noticed more power above 3000 rpms. i also did a lot of other work to the motor at the same time, so it could have been from other things too. i went with the cam cause i plan on puttin on a good set of heads soon and since the engine was out it was a lot easier to do it then as compaired to later with the engine in and such. good luck

------------------
89 GT AOD w/ shift kit, B&M rachet shifter, Trickflow intake, Crane (E-type) cam, 70Tb, 75MAF, 1.6 Rockers, Pulleys, MAC headers and H-pipe, Dynomax mufflers, K&N, 3 core radiator, white face gauges, custom interior, cobra R rims. 14.9 at 95.07mph with stock 2.73's.

89LX 2.3 Notch, daily beater!
MY89GT
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 10:42 AM   #6
John R. Mustang
Registered Member

Anyone else have any opinions. I just want a little increase in power and performance without hurting gas mileage and driveability. If the e-cam can't do this I will just stick with the stock cam and sell my extra e-cam. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2001, 11:06 AM   #7
Phantom5oh
Registered Member

the e cam should help you out a bit, it will not hurt your gas milage much, if any... a friend of mine swapped to the e cam and he has stock heads, all he did was change his headers and exhaust, the improvement was unreal... he has stock heads, on his and even with those the cam helped him... people tend to say stick with stock, if you have stock heads, but the e cam is just a little bigger than stock, so it will work great especially if you have opened up the heads a bit... i say go for it, and i know he will too...

Phantom

------------------
Project Bird Turd

Loose Cannon Racing
Scarzi Machine Works
Phantom5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 11:21 AM   #8
ttopmustanggt88
Registered Member

slap that thing in there
ttopmustanggt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 01:40 PM   #9
John R. Mustang
Registered Member

Thanks for all the great responses. I guess I will stick that thing in there and see what happens unless someone tells me different by this weekend. Thanks alot!!