MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-07-2003, 10:44 PM   #1
squid
Registered Member

Default Rear brakes hanging after e-brake..help!

I need your assistance once more....please.
The other day it was real cold out and I engaged my emergency brake while my car was warming up. Well after I disengaged the brake and backed out of the drive it felt like the rear brakes were dragging the car down. Then the driver side rear was clunking when I would go from a stop. It seems the wheel was a little hotter. Yes I know......something is hanging up on the brakes ...just wanted to know if anyone can point me in the right direction and save me some time investigating?
Thanks Stang lovers!
Old 01-07-2003, 11:40 PM   #2
Shogun
Registered Member

Squid, do you use your e-brake all of the time? What I mean is, everytime you shut off the car you should use the e-break because it keeps the rear brakes adjusted. Also, you may just have a sticking cable, I would lift the car have a buddy work the brake and shoot the bare cable where it goes into the insulation on either side (both wheels) with some WD-40. DO NOT spray in or around the drums. If that dosen't work pull the rear wheels tap the rear drums a few times, pull of the drums and spray the area with a liberal dose of brake cleaner, being careful not to inhale in brake dust, or fumes from the chemicals, and whatever you do DO NOT get that brake cleaner in your eyes, I am hear to tell you that I would rather have been kicked in the sac TWICE more that have been shoot in the eyes with that crap! OK, I'll shut up now. hope this helps.
Proud RHC member #99
1990 Mustang GT Trick Flow heads,F303,Mac cold air,FMS 65mm tb,73mm ma,FMS 1.6,GT-40 intake,MSD igintion,NOS Big Shot@150,Mac equal shorties,Mac h-pipe,American Thunder flows,Centerforce dual friction,TTC 3550,alm drive shaft, 3.73's, HPM subframes, k-member brace, strut tower brace.. amongst others.
Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 11:53 PM   #3
Shaggy
Registered Member

The other thing that can happen if it is cold enough is snow can pack the brakes and if you set the parking brake whil it is hot it can melt enough to cause water and then freeze again in between springs and such thus keeping the shoes ecpanded after releasing the cable try pour warm water across the drum to try and melt any icing that may have occured.