MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Windsor Power (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Rear Main Seal (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=28574)

1hot5.0 09-06-2002 09:14 PM

Rear Main Seal

My rear main seal is leaking (oil). My parents are making me get it fixed, and from what I have heard from several shops, it can cost me as much as $400. I have a friend of a neighbor who is willing to do it for me for $200+cost of the part (approximently $20). Is this a good price?

What is involved in fixing it? I heard from some that you have to drop the transmission to do it, and from others, just the oil pan. Thanks!

-Jason:confused:

jimberg 09-06-2002 09:23 PM

Are you sure it's your rear main seal that's leaking and not the seal at the back of the intake, or the seal at the back of the oil pan? I'd make sure you have your culprit before you start pulling things apart. It will definitely involve some labor to do any of these.

Fixing the seal at the back of the intake involves removing the intake and replacing the gaskets.

The rear main seal involves removing the tranny and the flex plate.

If it's the oil pan gasket, you need to raise the engine some to be able to remove the oil pan.

GodStang 09-06-2002 09:29 PM

I woud wash your engine top to bottom. Give it a bit than check to make sure it is rear main seal. It could be oil from any where that air blows it to the back to look like the rear main seal. I know a couple of people that has had this problem.

I replaced mine in my garage and I droped the Tranny and exhaust and than remove clutch and replaced it.

grant66 09-06-2002 11:41 PM

Rear Main

How has the best quality rear main oil seal out there for sale?

Mustang_289 09-07-2002 08:13 AM

"Fixing the seal at the back of the intake involves removing the intake and replacing the gaskets."

What seal at the back of intake - are you saying remove the upper intake to replace? We had a little oil leak in our 88GT - around the valve covers - replaced the valve cover gaskets. But I'm wondering if we should've replaced those gaskets as well?

lx5091 09-07-2002 09:31 AM

around N.E. the normal cost of replacing a rear main anywhere is $250 including parts. $400 seems high.

jimberg 09-07-2002 09:37 AM

The gasket located on the back rail of the engine block is notorious for leaking. It's between the lower intake and the engine block below where the PCV valve is. You have to remove the lower intake to replace it.

Mustang_289 09-07-2002 01:56 PM

Sounds like that gasket will wait till the winter - when we're changing from speed density to MAF, heads, cam, and pump up the rear.

bigblockcoupe 09-07-2002 02:54 PM

don't forget to check the valve cover gaskets they are notorious for leaking i would wash down the motor with some degreaser and water then drive it a bit to pinpoint the leak you don't want to pull the trans out to replace the rear main and find out it wasn't the culprit especially if you pay to have it done of course they would probably tell you it was bad anyway.

1hot5.0 09-10-2002 06:22 PM

Thanks Everyone for all of your help!