MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-13-2001, 02:01 PM   #1
Shotgun28
Registered Member

Post Rear main seal ....(semi-long)

When my new tranny is installed, do they replace the rear main seal? Is it apart of the original estimate and should it be assumed that they will replace it, if it is a reputable shop. THe reason I ask is my car is in storage right now (MN winters) and I start her up every other Sunday, just to hear her purr, and I have a leak, can't see where it is coming from, but it appears to be running down to my Long tube headers, which makes me think rear main, or perhaps, valve cover is leaking, but don't see or feel anything...Anyone have any thoughts, sorry so long.

Kevin

------------------
91 LX Convertible Gray on Red B&M Shift improver kit,ASP red alum. underdrive pulleys, Richmond 3.73 gears, 1 5/8 Flowtech long tube Headers and off road h-pipe, Flowmaster 2-chamber cat-back with S.S exhaust, MSD 6A Ignition with coil,Cap and rotor, Taylor Pro wires, K&N 12" conical filter system, Jet stage 2 performance chip and just purchased some GT40P heads, looking at exhaust, Lentech Street Terminator plus on it's way...
Shotgun28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2001, 02:04 PM   #2
Green92LX
Registered Member

I wouldn't assume anything...a rear main isn't exactly part of the job, but it is a very smart thing to do while it is all apart...I'm kicking myself in the @ss for not doing mine when I swapped my tranny in my coupe, but I also swapped it out on a Friday night at like 1 in the morning or something like that...

------------------
1992 5.0 LX, V-1 S-Trim @8LBS, Edelbrock 6037 Heads, Cobra Intake,E-303, 1.6 Roller Rockers,65MM Holley TB, 75 MM Pro M Mass Air, 190 LPH FP w/ 24 lb injectors,MSD 6A and BTM, BBK equal length shorties, offroad h-pipe,Mac Flowpath Mufflers, Pro 5.0, 3.73's,Motorsport "C" springs,welded subframe connectors, Ponies w/ 225/50 Nittos, Dark Green w/ 93 Cobra Spoiler

Daily driver: 89 Coupe with 207K plus, BBK shorties,offroad h-pipe,2-chamber flowmasters with dumps
Green92LX is offline   Reply With Quote