MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-05-2001, 01:15 PM   #1
MY91GT
Registered Member

Angry I AM SUCH AN IDIOT!!!

Listen to this one: Yesterday, I finally got my draglites on my car. Before I put them on, I had to get a set of lugs and since I was going to pep boys anyway, I figured I might as well get two bolts to hold on my hood latch. I just got my mach 1 hood painted red and the stock ones looked really shabby so, i figured I would get new ones. Upon returning, I put all four rims on and my buddy and I hopped in my car to go to the local gas station to get some air. Halfway in 2nd gear my hood comes FLYING up and slams back. I stop and pull over. I fricking forgot to put back the latch for my hood...I am such a idiot! My new hood has a 3" scratch in it from hitting the wipers and my black grille is smashed and that front panel is dented in. I cant believe that I forgot the latch, I got so excited about my rims that I left it sitting there in the garage. My car WAS in excellent condition...does anyone know if that panel comes off? It looks like it is part of the body. I know you guys are probally laughing your asses off, but I figured if I posted it, hopefully no one would make the same idiotic mistake.

------------------
TW Heads, Edlebrock RPM, 75mm TB, 75mm MM, Anderson N-2 cam, stock block, underdrives, paxton regulator, bbk 155 intank, 30lbers, motorsport alum rad msd ignition and coil, 3.73 gear, Tremec 3550, Motorsport HD clutch, K&N, hooker shorties, pacesetter h-pipe, and dynomax cat back, mac upper and lower control arms, no front sway bar. I think that's it. GO ILLINI!!!
Waiting for good weather for new times.
MY91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2001, 01:19 PM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

This is the 5th Hood incident this month.

Sorry guy, I think the panel you are talking about has to be cut out.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2001, 01:21 PM   #3
SHaFT7
Registered Member

the kid that i got my car from had the same thing happen, so i've got 1/2 the black grill behind the hood left

bad news is new ones from ford = $90

and used = at least $60

------------------
SHaFTed

91GT, Flows, dumps, 70MM BBK TB, K&N, Hurst short throw, T5, 17" Lexani Roma wheels, 235/40/R17 on front, 255/45/R17 on back, mach1 hood, LX tail lights, bright red!
SHaFT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2001, 05:54 PM   #4
lx mike
Undescribable

I did my hood job on my brothers car once, he asked me to change his oil and left it with me, well he has no latch just a chain tieing it down well stupid me forgot to put chain back on and i got at the top of the street and pulled out and hit it and the hood popped up and hit it!!!

------------------
93-LX: 5 Speed, Flow's with H-Pipe, 3.73's Sub's and K&N.
lx mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2001, 06:01 PM   #5
Mach 1
Registered Member

We all do stupid things, chalk it up to a learning experience, dont dwell on it, and press on.

What you did was nothing man, I was trying to sell my 71' mach 1, was giving the prospective buyer a ride, got on it, was doing around 85 MPH,(same thing, my hood wasnt latched) the hood flew up an I drove off the road over the side of a hill, after skidding for 40 feet, and the kid who wanted to buy it pooped in his pants!

------------------
1993 GT/AOD
'93 Mustang GT

[This message has been edited by Mach 1 (edited 05-05-2001).]
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2001, 12:52 PM   #6
NoSlow5.0
YOU HAVE NO MARBLES!!!!!!

Red face

Holy Sh*t! It seems that everyone and their mother is having problems with hoods flying up. Same happened to me last month. I bought the plastic grate from a junk yard for $10, ordered a new cowl, and am having it painted and put on as i type. Should be ready Tuesday. As for the metal cowling, that has to be cut out, unless you know of a really good body shop that can fix it. The shop Marbles is at will fix the cowling rather than replace it. That is a pretty high $$$ job. Good luick. Light Em Up!!!
NoSlow5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2001, 09:26 PM   #7
jimberg
Registered Member

If you're talking about the black grill (cowl vent cover) that the washer fluid squirts out of, yes it comes off and very easily. Texas Mustang parts has them for $69.95.

As for stupid things, I'll tell you what I did. I basically rebuilt my car. New engine, fuel pump, transmission, exhaust, etc. Did it all at once. There are a lot of things to check. I missed one. My fuel line was running right by the exhaust back by the fuel tank. It actually fell on the exhaust and got a hole burned through it.

My maiden voyage had to be to the smog station to have it checked so I could renew my tags. On the freeway, I noticed I was dragging something. I pulled over and it turned out that one of my fuel tank straps was hanging along with the fuel tank. I also noticed the dripping fuel. I figured it was caused by the tank dragging. Anyway, I tied it up the best I could and drove it the the closest service station I could find. They also found the hole in my fuel line and fixed that, too. I think it took a year for the drip marks out of my driveway to go away.

Anyway, the excitement of getting something new can sometimes distract us. The part that sucks is how much it can cost sometimes.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 04:38 AM   #8
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Quote:
Originally posted by Unit 5302:
This is the 5th Hood incident this month.

yeah it is.... I'm going to really have to start watching mine!!! LOL
Good luck man...

------------------
Joe!
1988 GT, 167,000 miles!!! 13.71@105mph Check out my listing! Click here! Or my website:
www.joe4speed.com
1999 Ninja ZX-6R 10.32@135mph!
1993 Olds Eighty Eight LSS

[This message has been edited by JL1314 (edited 05-07-2001).]
joe4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 08:16 AM   #9
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

yes mine happened this month also..and it happened again on friday cuz someone was ******* with my car and they popped my hood and i took off and didnt know

------------------
1987 black notch(ex 4 banger)
DSS 306 w/ main support...Elderbrock 6028 heads..gt-40 intake..24# injectors...70 mm tb..77 pro-m...accel 300+..mac full legnth..tremec w/ pro5oh...full MAC exhaust,off road h-pipe,long tubes, catback...ron davis radiator..subframes, control arms...CFDF II..o yea holley FPR sucks..dont buy one..
AIM=onesillynotch
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 04:27 PM   #10
bada$$lx

Cool

That happened to a buddy of mine in his Monte SS.....brand new cowl hood, newly painted. He nailed the gas, didn't have the pins in, and the hood slammed back, shattered his windshield and the hood craked in half, as it flew over the top of his car.
How f*&%$ed up is that?

------------------
'90 LX 5.0; 12K original miles (no sh*&); 3.55 gears; pulleys;Edelbrock Performer Heads; BBK shorties; MSD 6AL box w/ blaster 2 coil; Motorsport E303 cam; Pro-M 75mm MAF; BBK 70mm TB; Eibach spring kit; Southside welded subs; K&N cone filter charger; Hurst shifter; fiberglass turbo hood; A/C-less; rear seat-less; cat-less; 2 chamber Flos; Corbeau racing seats (fronts);
30# injectors; 190 lb fp; FPR; TFS track heat Intake - 12.513 @ 112 mph (Pre-inj/fuelpump/FPR/intake)
Old 05-07-2001, 05:52 PM   #11
Mike_W
Registered Member

Yep, happened to me too a couple of years ago, but I was sitting in the driveway with the hood on the prop rod and the wind took it up hard. Took a nice big chunk off the glass' hood.

------------------
90LX, T-5, Vortech V2-SQ, Holley, Twisted Wedge Stage1, X-303
Mike_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 06:15 PM   #12
exgmguy
Registered Member

Yup, just happened to me too. It really sucks!!!!!
exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2001, 12:58 AM   #13
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

(An onld topic but i havent been here in months)
That sux i thought i would share my stupid story, You guys need hood pins, although i would never use them, i have a stock hood, but the other day i was changing oil, finished, and started to pull the jack out from under, then the jack handle slipped out and banged the hell outta my fender chipping the s*** out of it, and part of the red pin striping gone!, i actually lost sleep over this, cuz it's gonna be $$ for the pin striping i think

I also have a few more stories, but this one bothers me the most.

------------------
90 lx coupe: Mac cold air fenderwell, accel supercoil,advncd ignition,3-core radiatr, FMS alum D/S, Black magic fan, 3.27grs, 3chbr flows.
Best time: 13.9116(on 225/60/15 firehawks)
Best mph: 98.17
Best 60': 1.9607

next mods: subframes, mac h-pipe
90dpscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote