View Single Post
Old 03-17-2002, 02:54 AM   #1
Halz
Registered Member

Default Rebuilding an engine.. and then some

My current engine with 130k miles is in need of some replacement parts (injectors are leaking, timing chain is rattling, etc.) which could amount to just shy of $1k..

That engine is a KA24E and the car is a 1989 Nissan 240SX

With the stock 140hp and 13-year-old internals, there isn't really much reason to build it up. 200hp is unreasonable naturally aspirated and any sort of forced air induction would not only be illegal, but impractical as the engine is simply old.
There are engines from Japan, which I could pay premiums for, and simply 'drop' in the car and with minor tuning see 250-300hp, however again, it would expensive to maintain. Not to mention it would be illegal.. (I'm in California; strict vehicle regulations)

What brings me to post this babble in a Ford Mustang 'Windsor Power' forum? You guessed it... I am interested in a domestic alternative.. With a '95 (or if there is a better year I should look into) 5.0 engine swap, not only could the car be legal, it could be maintained, be a strong performer (hp, etc.), be relatively inexpensive, and finally, unique.

While I do live in this domestic market, I can't really say I can speak with much of any authority on the subject.

What I would like to do is plan out an engine, which I would more than likely have professionally rebuilt with performance parts and then have custom installed. From what I've gathered thus far, this path could potentially be the least expensive of all I had previously considered. First it was rebuild the KA24E, then it was install an SR20DET, then it was a rebuilt KA24DE with a turbo, then it was CA18DET.. Each option aimed with a 'goal' of ~300hp; each option with an initial cost of ~$4-5k. Granted, while the domestic swap may cost the same initially, running costs I imagine would be considerably less.. not to mention legal, if done correctly.

On with the real 'meat'...

My primary concern was the size (dimensions/weight) of an engine which would effectively more than double the current engine's displacement.. After measuring the engine bay, ~31" x ~36" x ~30", I could have just as well considered putting a modular 4.6L Cobra in Another option is the Chevy LT1, but I'll keep quiet about that here With a 5.0, I see immediate advantages of it being small, and light (~520lbs stock). With the 240SX's near 50/50 weight distribution (53/47, unloaded), weight is of a high concern for me.. Frankly, the stock weight of the 5.0 engine prompts my reasoning of having it rebuilt; not for only greater [hp] performance. I would hope to have the engine clad of aluminum performance parts, with maybe a final wishful weight of ~450lbs. I don't know what the weight of a T-5 transmission is... a figure I've been using in calculations is an extremely generous 75lbs. Then of course there is headers/exhaust to add to the weight.. A carbon fiber hood, removing the rear seats and moving the battery to the rear are options I have to reduce the stock weight and sharpen balance.

I havn't got a concrete idea on what I could do exactly to reduce the weight of a 5.0 while increasing its power... the potential possibilities elude me

Some pictures of the 240SX (to put things in context):
Front left
Rear left
Top left
Dirty engine
Halz is offline   Reply With Quote