MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-01-2005, 09:26 PM   #1
Lethal5Oh
Registered Member

Default Rebuilding Trac locs

Heres the deal, 95 GT, doin 1 wheel wonders. Called the ford dealer and i can get a trac loc rebuild for 55 bucks. My question is, how much of a PIA is it to rebuild? I am a mechanic but ive never torn one apart. Is there any setup or is it just replacing parts? I dont have the money to replace the diff yet, so rebuilding is the only option. Thanks
'95 GT convert. K&N, C&L mass air meter, Performance distributors sreamin demon coil, dyna mod, live wires, king cobra clutch, flowmaster american thunder exhaust, UPR billet adjustable shift handle, Crane Cams Fireball HI-6 box,underdrive pullies, 255lph fuel pump, UPr short throw shifter, caster camber plates, 03 cobra lower A arms, bullit suspension, cobra front brakes
Lethal5Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 10:07 PM   #2
ols0051
Registered Member

Default Re: Rebuilding Trac locs

The rebuild is easy. I got a new kit on ebay for maybe 35 bucks. Plus $6 for a bottle of fricton modifier. I had never done it before and found it to be pretty easy. I would just pull the diff right out, put it on a work bench,pull the s,clip than roll the spider gears out, replace each clutch pack and put back together. I'm sure someone will pipe in with better instructions. just keep track of all you pieces and were they go and you'll be OK.
ols0051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 10:15 PM   #3
Lethal5Oh
Registered Member

thanks for the reply. Makes me less worried about doing it. Itll be nice to burn both tires again. Plus having the traction back.
'95 GT convert. K&N, C&L mass air meter, Performance distributors sreamin demon coil, dyna mod, live wires, king cobra clutch, flowmaster american thunder exhaust, UPR billet adjustable shift handle, Crane Cams Fireball HI-6 box,underdrive pullies, 255lph fuel pump, UPr short throw shifter, caster camber plates, 03 cobra lower A arms, bullit suspension, cobra front brakes
Lethal5Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 07:41 AM   #4
Jeff Chambers

The trick is to get as much shimming in as possible while still being able to roll the pinion-mate gears back into place. Too much shim though and you won't be able to get the cross shaft back in between the axle ends so be sure to check the axle clearance before putting the diff back in to place. The easiest way that I've found to manage the s-clip is to compress it in a vice then put a stainless worm clamp around it. Once you get the clip started into the diff, remove the worm clamp and tap the clip the rest of the way in with a ball-peen hammer.
CRT Performance
2001 Tropic Green Mustang GT - 12.181 / 113.2 MPH
2002 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 7.3l Power Stroke - 17.41@77.2

"There's nothing boring about a small block automatic shifting gears at 9400 rpm!"
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote