MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-24-2002, 06:27 AM   #1
wildneg
Registered Member

Default Redo Block & Convert to EFI? Prices?

How hard would it be, and price, to convert my 83' to EFI? It already looks like a newer (91) mustang. The engine compartment is basically stripped out and nothing but a carberated block. I have over heating issues and was planning on doing that fan upgrade from the Mach VIII.

I was going to sell this car and buy a already EFI but all the cars i'm finding have pretty poor bodies and rust. Which I guess is understandable. Mine is very clean on the body and underneath. Ever since I bought it, its been garaged and/or tarped. So it's always kept clean. So I was thinking of just keeping this body (Factory Installed T-tops) and removed the carb engine and putting in a simple 302 block with some performance. I'm basically wanting a pretty reliable cruising car. The state it is in right now, its basically a big bad muscle car for the streets.

So I guess i'm wondering, how much would it cost to get a crate motor or a simple 302 with performance pistons and crank? I can put it on my engine stand and put in a cam, heads, intake, etc. Get everything ready outside of the car and then drop it in when its all completed. I am basically trying to build maybe a 12 second street car that would be reliable and pass emissions. Main goal here, is to convert over to EFI when I do it. Do they sell kits or do I have to hunt down a junk yard mustang to steal everything from?

If 12 second car will cost to much to do (all engine), then what about a low 13 or so car? I don't want to spend all that much hooking this car up. I'm hoping over the summer I'll finish it up! I'm not made of money either! =)

If anyone can give me some ideas on what combos to use, and maybe where to get them? I get all sorts of mustang mags so I have a lot of things in there. But finding a cheap almost stock block with just a little upgrade on pistons and crank would be the hardest. Most are like 1800 for a short block but thats like a '300h/p block!'. Well, please let me know possible combos and what exactly to do with the EFI conversion. What size pump to get, and all that. I will be replacing the fuel tank as well, so will need to know what to change in there as far as the pump type/size. And if anyone knows where to buy that fan online? Mach VIII 80amp fan? Thanks.

-- Kevin P
-- kevin@techsi.net
wildneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 10:54 AM   #2
wildneg
Registered Member

Anybody? My girlfriend's sister's boyfriend has a few mustang parts. All EFI. He said he'll sell cheap to me. So I'm debating whats all involved in converting! Anybody got any insight?

- KevinP
- Kevin@techsi.net
Old 04-24-2002, 05:13 PM   #3
DRASTiK
Registered Member

Well, first off, I've never done a carb - EFI conversion, but I'll tell ya what I can.

You're going to need quite a few odds and ends to accomplish this if you want to pass a smog test. Those parts are probably going to be the hardest to find.

As far as pricing goes, if you're somewhat on a limited budget, then you might as well not even look in the stang mags and search online for used parts and take your chances, with heads, intake, TB/EGR, EEC, wiring harness, etc. If you're looking for a high 12/low 13 second car, then the stock parts aren't gonna get the job done unless you port the hell outta the intake and heads. Don't get me wrong, it can be done and many people are in the 12's with stock parts, but usually their cars are stripped bare, and quite a bit of port work has been done. Many people are in the 12's with the stock cam also.

As far as other parts (fuel lines, rails, and whatever other stock parts you'll need, they should be relatively easy and cheap to get used from sites like this one.

I'd definately buy a new shortblock (as you already planned on) and I'd buy a new cam also. These are two pieces that I wouldn't even try to buy used. Just my $.02.

Why can't you use your existing block, and just put newer and better parts in it?

RHC member #75

My stang is FOR SALE!!
DRASTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 12:00 AM   #4
wildneg
Registered Member

I don't plan on using all stock parts. A bigger cam, intake, heads if needed, are ok. I just don't want to bore the block and get an all out expensive setup.

The reason I'm not using the block I have now is its bored and was all inteded for carb. Yes, I can just swap all that stuff over and build a EFI one but I wanted to just start with a clean fresh block and put it together at my leaisure (During the first 2 months or so of spring/summer) and once totaly finished, drop it in. Then once I have the orig motor out I can redo the gas tank, fuel lines, and get everything set. Drop in the new motor and be on my way.

The block I have now only has about 3000-4000 orig miles on it. So I'll end up selling that once I get it out. Its bored over and such but it's a pretty strong block. Not sure all whats on it. But either way, I would like to convert to a emission passable EFI. I guess I just need either A) a full kit that comes with the wire harness and all sensors, injectors, fuel rail, MAF, and computer or B) a full listing of everythign I'm going to need to find off a EFI mustang in junk yards and online used.

Anybody know where to even really begin to find a listing of what I need? Or know of any full kits? Any and all ideas would be appreciated! I'm ready to start buying some things and search this weekend! Let me know! Thanks!

- Kevin
- kevin@techsi.net