MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-05-2003, 08:38 PM   #1
Conman
Registered Member

Default repeated alternator bearing failure

My alternator died a while back, just wore out and was not charging. So I got a rebuilt unit from a parts store and all was good for about 8 months. Then the bearings gave out and the little fan was rubbing on the housing. I took it back and got another under warranty thinking it was just a shitty rebuild. This one just gave out too after about 4 months. I'm thinking about trying a different store but could there be another problem with my car causing this such as the automatic tensioner putting too much tension in the belt or something like that.
Any thoughts or should I just go get another alternator from a different parts store.

Thanks guys
ps I don't have underdrive pulleys or anything else that would affect this

'88 lx, Black on Black, check it out here

Spent all my money on school, what a dumb mistake

I'm old enough to know better, but still too young to care.
Conman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 05:21 PM   #2
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Default Re: repeated alternator bearing failure

Quote:
Originally posted by Conman

Any thoughts or should I just go get another alternator from a different parts store.
I'd check the tension, then check to make sure the alternator is not cocked to one side where the belt is pulling off center, then if all that looked ok i'd consider a different alternator. It could be that the rebuild company is just putting in crappy bearings, or perhaps not changing the bearings at all ?
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 08:10 PM   #3
Conman
Registered Member

everything looks square and the tension is good

I guess we'll see how long this one from a different store lasts. atleast the other two were still under warranty.

'88 lx, Black on Black, check it out here

Spent all my money on school, what a dumb mistake

I'm old enough to know better, but still too young to care.
Conman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 06:45 PM   #4
'89GTStang
Registered Member

It's been my experience that most replacement parts from an auto store are not up to the quality of the original units and tend to fail a lot more often but I would consider 2 in a 14 month period excessive. Unless you go for the high dollar aftermarket stuff.
K&N, Twisted Wedge heads, TFS intake,FMS 1.7 rockers, Trick Flow stage 1 cam(221*/225* .530in\.542in) , 3.73's, headers, off road H-pipe, Flowmasters, FMS Clutch, Tremec, PRO-5.0, FMS driveshaft, fluidyne alum. radiator, and more to come.
'89GTStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 08:24 AM   #5
mpj76
Registered Member

I have an old 91 cop car. It came with a 130 amp alternator with an external voltage regulator. I had it rebuilt a total of 4 times since it was always free. Each time it would last only about 6 months. It was always the bearings that went bad on it. Be careful while tooling around. One day while it was rubbing, a component within the alternator came loose and found its way onto the cooling fins while the engine was running. The component shot up into the hood with such force that it put a very sharp dent into it. It knocked the paint off the bump on the other side. Judging by the bump and the hood material, I would guess that it had the same force as a BB gun.

I finally bought a new G3 unit. I've had it in there now for about three years. It charges better than the old alternator and hasn't given me a single problem. I highly recommend it.
mpj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 09:01 AM   #6
pearlgt
Registered Member

I have learned that buying a reman alternator is not wise I went through 6 alts in about a 2 years (thanks advanced auto parts). Spending the extra money on some parts is very important to a nice quality ride.
pearlgt is offline   Reply With Quote