MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-26-2001, 11:54 AM   #1
Rebel79
News Editor

Post Problems adjusting Fuel Pressure

This weekend I tried adjusting my fuel pressure on my Kirban Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator. I took the vacuum line off and the FP was set to 48. I can turn the adjustment screw 5 full counter-clockwise rotations and it won't drop a psi. However I can adjust it back to where it was, and turn it 3 times to the right which makes it tight, and the FP goes up to 50psi!

You see my FP was set at 38psi, but then I upgraded my fuel pump and it jumped up to 48! Its way too high and I need to lower it.

------------------
1994 Mustang Cobra
308ci, Vortech S-trim 11#, ported GT-40 heads, E-303 cam, FMS 1 5/8 headers, BBK Offroad H-pipe, 2-chamber flows, and several other goodies.
Rebel Racing. Home of Bay Area Mustangs
Rebel79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 09:38 PM   #2
Rebel79
News Editor

ANYONE?
Old 09-27-2001, 04:04 AM   #3
PKRWUD

Was this with the engine running?

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 09:35 AM   #4
Rebel79
News Editor

Angry

Chris,

I certainly hope that was a joke.

I tried ajusting the fuel pressure with the vacuum on, no change. I'm going to call Kirban to see what they have to say. I have only heard of two people so far that have had defective regulators. I hope I am not another one.
Old 09-27-2001, 12:05 PM   #5
PKRWUD

Wink

Of course it was a joke, unless you were applying vacuum from a vacuum cleaner.

Hey, I work on race cars. I never said I was funny.

The only time I've ever seen an adjustable fuel pressure regulator react like yours was when they had a ruptured diaphragm. I understand that you can't adjust it with or without the vac attached, but does the pressure change with the vac attached? If it remains the same, you have a bad reg. Do you have access to another adj. reg. for comparison?

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
Old 09-27-2001, 01:26 PM   #6
Rebel79
News Editor

Phew! You had me scacred there Chris.

Yes the fuel pressure does change when the vacuum line is removed. Unfortunately I do not have access to another fuel pressure regulator. I am trying to get a hold of Kirban for advice. I'll let you know what they say.
Old 09-27-2001, 01:36 PM   #7
89 Cobra LX
Don Corlione

For what it's worth, I'm running a Kirban regulator and have no problems adjusting the pressure up or down. Probably a bad regulator...

------------------
Eric - 89 Mustang LX coupe
302 - Cobra Intake - GT40p heads - TFS stage 1 cam - FRPP 1.6 roller rockers - Naturally Aspirated
3:73 gears - KYB shocks and struts - Eibach springs - HPM Mega-bite Jr lower control arms - HPM upper control arms
89 Cobra LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 03:52 PM   #8
Rebel79
News Editor

OK I noticed something else. At idle with vacuum on, my fuel pressure sits at 45psi. When I start off the line, the fuel pressure dips down a few psi. Under decent acceleration, the pressure drops to 30psi! But when I apply boost from the blower, the fuel pressure skyrockets as normal, thanks to my FMU.

I talked to Kirban, they don't think its a bad regulator, but won't ship me out a new one to be sure. Is this typical of a broken regulator? I don't want to buy a new one for $130 and have it not be the problem.

------------------
1994 Mustang Cobra
308ci, Vortech S-trim 11#, ported GT-40 heads, E-303 cam, FMS 1 5/8 headers, BBK Offroad H-pipe, 2-chamber flows, and several other goodies.
Rebel Racing. Home of Bay Area Mustangs
Old 09-27-2001, 04:56 PM   #9
PKRWUD

Just out of curiosity, what is the "range" of that reg.? What was the output of your old pump? What is the output of the new one?

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

Old 09-27-2001, 10:59 PM   #10
jimberg
Registered Member

You should set the fuel pressure with the engine off (no need to fiddle with vacuum line). You do this turning the ignition key to the on position and jumper the fuel pump test lead of the test connector to ground. This will force your fuel pump to run constantly. If you hold the test connector so that the bevel is up, the fuel pump test lead is the connector on the right.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 09:45 AM   #11
Rebel79
News Editor

Chris,

I don't remember the range of the regulator. My fuel pressure was set at 38psi (vacuum off) with my stock fuel pump. Once I put in the Walboro 255lph pump the fuel pressure rose to 49psi with vacuum off.
Old 09-28-2001, 09:58 AM   #12
PKRWUD

I think it's a bad reg.

Hey, you need to go see this Rear Window Thread I started in BOL. Trust me.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

Old 09-28-2001, 12:18 PM   #13
Rebel79
News Editor

I'm ordering a new reg today. Thanks for the link bud. Glad to see you are still sporting the decal. Man I had to reproduce some more cause a local kid wanted like 10 of them. I had forgotten how much I had spent and how much money I ate because of that! I think I originally made over 100 of them for $375. I only sold about 65 so I ate the rest. When I had some more made, they cost $6.25 ea. !! I could only afford 12.
Old 09-28-2001, 12:54 PM   #14
PKRWUD

I can't believe you didn't sell more of them! I am asked about mine at least once a week. I think I bought 4 from you for around $20 including shipping. That one has been on my F-150 for close to 2 years now, and still looks as good as new. 2 of the others I bought became gifts, and I still have my last one, waiting for the right application. Actually, I am somewhat of a sticker-a-hollic, and have at least one of just about any sticker you could want. I never seem to be able to stick my last copy of any sticker, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I started that thread in BOL because I couldn't think of any other way to post a picture of your sticker. Seeing you here again reminded me, and left me feeling like there are probably a bunch of newbies here who never even knew.

That was/is a great sticker, Scott. You should be proud! I know I certainly am.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet