MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-12-2001, 04:58 PM   #1
chris91LX
Registered Member

Question Roller Rocker install questions. (long)

I have a 91 LX with stock heads, valve covers have never been off, and I want to throw on some rockers I've had around for a while. I have Comp Cams 1.6 roller rockers, studs, guide plates and pushrods out of a set of 351 heads. Is this an easy swap, ie unbolting the old rockers and tightening down the new or are there some devils in the details? Anyway, heres a couple questions about the rockers:
1. Are the stock rockers pedestal mount or stud mount, if they are stud mount are they pressed in or threaded?
2. Exactly what do I need for the install, parts wise, besides the rockers and the studs?
Any help is greatly appreciated guys. Thanks in advance.

------------------
91 LX 5.0
Z t-5, 3:73 gear, Vortech 73mm Mass Air, Accufab 65mm TB, BBK underdrives, Crane HI-6S Ignition, BBK unequal length headers, Bassani x pipe, 2.5" Dynomax Super Turbo cat back, Kenny Brown Super Subs, Factory Five Control Arms, Mac cold air kit and more to come!
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 05:29 PM   #2
gray87GT
Registered Member

Hey-
I assume that your rockers are like mine...being stud mounted. If they are, than it isn't an easy swap since the stock heads don't have studs. They are just pedestal mounted rockers. I think I have seen a kit for the stock heads though.
gray87GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 08:10 PM   #3
chris91LX
Registered Member

That's what I was afraid of, any idea where you saw that kit? Is there a way to use the studs, or would I have to drill and tap holes? I've had a bunch of guys tell me this was a simple swap, but none of them had ever done it on a Mustang.
Old 03-15-2001, 03:12 PM   #4
chris91LX
Registered Member

Let me try this again. Anyone have any answers for me?
Old 03-15-2001, 09:29 PM   #5
89Rustang
Registered Member

Cool

I had stud mounted roller rockers on my factory heads(crane rollers).There is no need to drill or tap.All you do is put the guide plates on,screw the studs in and slip the rockers on and adjust the nuts.I used the Crane conversion kit, you should be able to use what you have.351 and 302 heads are basically the exact same thing.As far as adjusting, Stock rockers are pedestal mount ,yours are I assume adjustable.This is where it gets tedious.You have to be sure when tightening the rockers you have ero lash.Be sure the lifter is on a flat spot of the cam and not the ramp.Do one cylinder at a time,adjusting and rotating.When you have ero lash, give the nut an extra turn and lock it. There's my "how-to".
89Rustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 09:32 PM   #6
89Rustang
Registered Member

by the way , ero = ZERO , my Z key is busted hehe.
89Rustang is offline   Reply With Quote