MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-20-2003, 04:53 PM   #1
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

Default Setting Lash on Roller Rockers, AGAIN

It's been asked a million time, I know... but I seem to be having some trouble...

TFS Twisted Wedge Heads, Stud Mount, FMS 1.6 Rockers:

I bring it to TDC and I adjust #1, I spin the rod and tighted till it stops spinning and then I give the nut another 1/2 turn. I can tighten it by hand to make the rod stop spinning, is this normal? Then the half turn I use a ratchet. Then I use the allen key and tighen the lock.

I know theres an easier way to do this, but I then rotate the crank 90 degrees and follow the firing order and do the rest.

When I get back to 1 it seems loose, I can spin the rods with my fingers and giggle the rocker arm even though it was tight only 2 revolutions ago.

Now that I'm thinking, could I have put the cam in wrong? I lined up the dots, is there anythign more to it?
-as
Old 04-20-2003, 07:17 PM   #2
NotchJohnson
Registered Member

you dont want to tighten the rocker until the pushrod STOPS spinning, you only tighten it until you first feel resistance.
Old 04-20-2003, 07:34 PM   #3
NotchJohnson
Registered Member

Also, you tighten it 3/4 of a turn, not 1/2. Good Luck.
Old 04-21-2003, 06:29 AM   #4
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

ok, lets say I do it till I feel the resistance, that'll be even looser then I was doing it... in witch case they will be even looser after I rotate around again... it just seems my biggest problem is they seem to be all loose when I've done the last one, the first one seems too loose... the whole arm giggles around.. it wont sping around or aything.. the rod's still in the seat.. but its definately loose
-as
Old 04-21-2003, 01:34 PM   #5
NotchJohnson
Registered Member

Slight side to side movement is ok. You are remembering to lock the rockers when you tighten them right?
Old 04-21-2003, 06:53 PM   #6
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

I just thought I was doing something wrong when they seemed to be loose, they arent falling off or anything, it's just when I tightedn them and then did the rest, when I came back to the first they seemed to wiggle a bit..
-as