MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-19-2001, 07:15 AM   #1
RED92LX50
Registered Member

Question Rookie Questions on Gauge Installation

Hi all, I am installing two Auto Meter gauges in a Dual Gauge plate with vents (where the middle air vents are on my 92). I have the Vacuum gauge, and the Volts gauge (looks like simple install for both, but I would like some clarification/pointers to help the install go smoothly).

Volts: The instructions say to route a ground wire through the firewall, and attach to a good engine ground. Do I really need to run this wire, or can I use a ground near my stereo, etc. If I do need to do this, what is a good engine ground (this does not mean to the Block does it - just solid metal (frame/body) contact in the engine bay?). What about running it directly to the Neg battery terminal? Also, Where is the easiest place to splice into the (+) Switched Ignition voltage for the Positive connection?

Vac: Will I need to splice a current Vac line and use the provided T fitting, or should I have an empty Vac port on the Tree?

For Both: Where is the easiest place to splice into the variable dash lighting for the gauge lights?

Sorry so long, I have been a board "Reader" for a long time, but have few Posts - thanks for your help!
RED92LX50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 08:55 AM   #2
RED92LX50
Registered Member

OK, I found some clarification in searching previous posts...How about just answering if I need to run the ground for the Volts gauge through the firewall (I don't see why I would need to)?
Old 07-20-2001, 10:04 AM   #3
Coupe Devil

I also installed some guages in my car where you are. I ran the ground you are talking about to the metal that surrounds the radio. I haven't had any problems with it so far. I also spliced all the wires for the lights on all four of my guages into one larger wire and ran it to the fuse box so that they come on with the key. I put the little red "rubbers" on mine and they look freakin cool at night.

------------------
'93 lx 4 banger, wrecked '90 lx 5.0, w/ t-5. .030 over fully ported and polihed (did that just to see if I could-first attempt at it). Motor and tranny in use for Ranger project.

Cocked, locked and ready to rock

Pony Power Forever
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 10:18 AM   #4
RED92LX50
Registered Member

Thanks! Do those RED & GREEN "rubbers" affect the color of the illumination - I had no idea what they were for!