MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-16-2002, 07:51 PM   #1
michaelmfl
Registered Member

Unhappy Runs fine, and then just dies

I was driving my nearly stock '91 5.0 along for about a half hour or more, and then the engine started sputtering and slowly died. After letting it cool down for a few minutes it started back up again, and runs great for a short time, and then it dies the same way again. I was able to drive to a friend's house where it is now sitting. The weather was sunny and warm, but not very hot. I spent the whole weekend putting on a new convertible top. I need to get a lot of miles out of the car to make that job worth the while!

Thanks for any help!
michaelmfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 08:11 PM   #2
Mustang Cain

I now this wont help any but i had pretty much the same thing happen to me with my old 90 DODGE (POS) DAYTONA turbo. Turned out to be a pickup coil (hall effect sensor) replaced it and never had a problem again. Im not sure if stangs have a similiar piece or not, i think ive heard about a pickup coil of some kind on them.
Old 04-16-2002, 09:23 PM   #3
kenneth kimble
Registered Member

Default Sn6V23

Let me see... Runs and then dies will start again. sound like the Hall pickup coil inside the DISTRIBUTOR on 5.0's. IT happen to me with my 5.0 and turbo coupe 15$ Adavnce good Luck.
kenneth kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 01:04 AM   #4
DRASTiK
Registered Member

It's most likely your TFI module on your distributor. If your car has less than 100,000 miles on it, then Ford will fix it for free under a recall status. OR like the above said, your PiP in your dizzy could be dying intermittently. I've had that problem as well.

RHC member #75

My stang is FOR SALE!!
DRASTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 05:09 PM   #5
PKRWUD

Excellent suggestions. It's been my experience, though, that when the TFI get's moody, it tends to either work or not work, not die out sputtering. A typical bad TFI scenario is driving around for a while, and stopping to get gas, but when you try to start it to leave, it won't start. Once it cools down (usually 10-15 minutes), it will usually start again, but the next time you shut it off, you will likely experience the same problem.

The other possibility is the fuel pump. When they start to fail, they will often work fine initially, but as they heat up, they cut out and fail. They also will usually start working again after some time is allowed for it to cool, but the problem will become progressively worse.

The easiest way to determine if it's an ignition problem or a fuel problem is to check for spark the next time the problem happens. If you see a spark, try starting it again. If it still won't start (or if it does start, then the next time this happens), pull a plug and see if it's wet. Anytime you attempt to start it, and it won't, the plugs should be wet if the pump is working. If they are dry, I would replace the pump.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 07:29 PM   #6
Redline302
Registered Member

My Guess is to start easy check the fuel filter first when it gets pluged and stalls some times the crud can settle I it will run for a few min then stall, If thats not it then I would check the fuel pump......
Redline302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 08:48 PM   #7
gtsr515
Registered Member

I agree, when the TFI goes bad it just plain quits, never to be heard from again!

How about a bad fuel pump, sounds more like it.