Thread: Which S/C?
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2002, 02:59 PM   #6
91GTturbo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stangsrule
I'm not trying to flame or anything but I fail to see your logic in saying the KB is only good for short runs? What is the limiting factor(s)? It is almost identical to the Eatons that Ford uses, only the KB is even more effecient and capable of more boost. Anyway, like I said not trying to flame just don't unserstand what makes the Bell a "short" blower and the others not. I know a few guys racing them all the time at quarter mile strips with no complaints, now I will give you the fact that they aren't the baddest race blowers made but they do AWESOME on the street and pretty darn decent at the track.
The KB maybe more efficient that the Eatons Ford uses, but they are still not very efficient in the upper rpms when compared with a centrifugal style blower. The advantage to the roots style in shorts runs in exactly what they are synonymous for, instant boost and incredible amounts of torque. I know people as well that run them in the 1/4 with no complaints. They are very reliable. I know of two different cars that switched from a roots to cent, the reason, they maxed out the roots. They are very limiting in the amount of growth and both of the guys wanted to go faster. One of the cars lost a couple mph and a tenth in et in the 1/8, the other lost almost 2 tenths, but, the first car mentioned picked up 8 mph in the 1/4 and 6 tenths in et while the other picked up 5 mph and almost 5 tenths in et.