Thread: Which S/C?
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2002, 04:10 PM   #8
91GTturbo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Shaggy
I would like to dispell some myths that seem to be floating around about the whipple first it is a good blower all around the ones KB sells yes are intended for street use but they make all the way up to a 9.8 liter blower if you go straight to the manufacturer the if whipple weren't any good for the full 1/4 mile the wouldn't be outlawed as an unfair advantage.
Nobody said they weren't any good any the 1/4, just not as good. And just imagine if they were allowed to run a turbo.

Quote:
Now back to the KB kits the 2.2 "blowzilla" package make a helluva street/strip combo and is capable of 18 psi which is way more then any pump gas will allow you to run. and 18 psi is 18 psi reghardless of how you get it the only reason a turbo will show more power is due to less parasitic loss.
18 psi is not always 18 psi, efficiency has alot to do with it.

Quote:
So as far as 91gtturbos friends hitting the ceiling of the whipple from KB i can see that only if they are making more then around 700HP on the 2.2 liter or 500HP on the 1.5 but the 9.8 Liter was originaly made for Top Fuel where they are making 5000+ before it was outlawed there.
We are taking about street cars here, not top fuel. And both cars ran the 1500, which happens to be rated at 450 fwhp. And that's not too hard to hit with a good heads,cam, and blower combination on a 5.0.

Quote:
No all that being said the the centrigual blowers are cheaper to make the power, turbos can be done cheaper too if ytou want to do your own fab work. All the forced induction systems are gonna make good power I prefer the Whipple all in all they all have there drawbacks and picking which one is right for you is going to ultimately have to be dicided by you and which drawbacks you are willing to live with.
Turbos kits are becoming more plentiful and cheaper every day, search around, you'll see. I agree with you there, cent, roots, or turbo, all can and will make good power.