MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-30-2004, 11:29 PM   #1
bmxmon
Registered Member

Default questions about my new 65 mustang

Hey, I have quite a few questions I need some help with. I just bought a early 1965 mustang, with generator and all. So one of my questions is, will i be albe to swith over to a alternator with no problems? It has a 250 inline 6 in it right now, (not the original engine, is supposed to be a 170 ci) with a 3 speed manual tranny. If I get a 302 or 289, what do I need to change? Im pretty sure that I will need new front springs, but was wondering if the tranny will still work with a 302. Also, is there anything in the rear end that I will need to change out? I believe it has 3.1:1 gears in the rear end. Im 17, and pretty new to all this automotive stuff. I have read alot about it all, but never really actually done much. The 250 engine in there now runs really rough, and my brother in law said I need new head gaskets and exhaust manifold gaskets. The 250 is burning and leaking alot of oil, so I was thinking about just trying to get a new engine in there, because i was going to anywho. Also, he said that the piston rings might be bad. Thats all i can think of, thanks for looking, and helping if you can.
bmxmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 11:59 PM   #2
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

I don't know about the generator/alternator switch out, I don't know what all needs to be changed.

The 250 6 cyl engine didn't come out until 69, and I think the 3 speed had changed from the original, so I doubt the 3 speed is original. I have no idea which rear end you would have, I think the original with the 170 was a 3.00 :1, and in 69 I see it listed as 2.5:1.

My advice if you are serious about an engine swap is find an engine and transmission together from the same car, or better yet, find a donor car, because it would have the springs, wiring, engine, transmission, rear end, etc. Swap in the parts you need and then sell the donor car. Engine swaps are easy from V8 to V8, but there is a lot more involved in a 6 to 8 swap. Even the brake drums are different, all Mustangs 6's had 4 lug hubs.

Good luck!

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 07:13 PM   #3
orlowted
Registered Member

Default Been there - Done that

My car was also a inline 6 - not a generator though. I agree with getting a donor car. I did the entire front suspension swap (it is really needed) over to the 5 lug wheels, also took the rear. You will need this also for the 5 lug axle. The rear from a 6 in not going to hold up with a V-8. Wiring is basically the same. You will also need the V-8 motor mounts...completely different than the 6. I got the trans with the motor, but I don't think the original 3 sped would have worked. You will want to go with a 4 speed otherwise you will be screaming at 3000 rpm going 55. Put Disk brakes on when everything is apart and upgrade to a dual master cylinder. These are things you will do eventually anyway - Trust me.
Good Luck
orlowted is offline   Reply With Quote