MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-02-2001, 02:44 AM   #1
Shotgun28
Registered Member

Question See an increase without the a new cam?

When I finally get my new heads,intake,t/b and MAF sensor on my car, will I still see an increase without a cam at this point. I have as I stated before getting some awful cam installation quotes (600-750) and that will have to wait, and I would like the car as done as possible and possibly getting a custom cam. Will I still get the seat of the pants feel with the above....?

Heads=GT40 P heads
Intake= Cobra upper and lower
T/B= Ford racing 65mm
MAF=C & L 73mm

Anyone know how much it would cost approx.to get my new heads installed? I feeling slightly concerned with doing it myself. Thanks in advance...

Kevin

------------------
91 LX Convertible Gray on Red B&M Shift improver kit,ASP red alum. underdrive pulleys, Richmond 3.73 gears, 1 5/8 Flowtech long tube Headers and off road h-pipe, Flowmaster 2-chamber cat-back with S.S exhaust, MSD 6A Ignition with coil,Cap and rotor, Taylor Pro wires, K&N 12" conical filter system, Jet stage 2 performance chip and just purchased some GT40P heads, looking at exhaust, Lentech Street Terminator plus on it's way...
Shotgun28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 03:40 AM   #2
WADS56
gear banger

You will notice a big power jump when you get the parts on. The exhaust system you have will help it out even more. I don't have the gt-40 p's, but I hear that you run into header clearence problems because of the plug location. You may have to grind on the headers to get them to fit? I'm not sure on 600-750 $$ to get a cam installed, thats allot of money even if that is what the going rate is. You said that you were concerned about doing it yourself... If you did your own mods listed in your sig. you will be fine. Ask a good friend to help and get a shop manual. You now can save your self the money to pay someone else to do it and buy a custom cam, some good lifters, and hardend pushrods, and do the whole thing at once.

------------------
Blown 347 W/Canfield heads, solid roller cam, track times this spring mid 10's or bust

93lx 5.0 daily driver
WADS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 10:13 AM   #3
Josh91
Registered Member

You will definitely still see a gain with the stock cam. I would guess you will see 30-40 HP easily. There are people running extremely low 13's, some high 12's with P's and the stock cam.

------------------
1991 Mustang GT - Cobra Intake, FMS 65mm TB, C&L 73mm MAF, GT-40P heads, Crane 2031 cam, Crane 1.7rr, Built AOD, Art Carr 2400 non-lockup converter, Transgo shift kit, BBK chrome cold air, FMS 'P' headers, Pacesetter off-road H, BBK aluminum pulleys, 2-C Flows w/ dumps, 4.10's, Steeda STB, for now...

The Original GT-40P Tech Page
Josh91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 10:44 AM   #4
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

It would seem to me if you are going to tear off your heads and intake, slapping a new cam in when all that stuff is off should be anti climatic.

If you are going to pay someone for the head swap they should not stick you too much more for the cam install. At the most a few more brackets would come off and the water pump. then the front cover, pull off the crank gear, R&R the cam and timing chain.

That said, the stock cam has pretty healthy lift and duration specs compared to other stock motors and Ford may have used the same cam with those Cobra parts so you may be better off with the stock cam unless you plan on porting the heads and intake. A aftermarket cam may be more suitable with higher flow heads and intake ???

------------------
Frank W
90 5.0 LX coupe
74 Chevy Laguna Type S-3
www.chevellepages.com/folingo
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 10:49 AM   #5
AJSTANG
Registered Member

That's right! If you have got the motor stripped down, take advantage, and replace the cam too. You'll get even more HP out of the new combo.
AJSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote