MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-24-2002, 11:54 PM   #1
Killercanary
Registered Member

Default Seeking suggestions for some more power...

I have a 95GT convertible with the following:

AFR 165/60cc heads
FTI custom cam
Edelbrock performer intake
65mm T-body
75mm MAF
24LB injectors
190LPH pump
FMS shorty SS ported headers
Bassani offroad X
2.5" flow tubes
Dynomax welded race magnum mufflers
stock 2.25 tail pipes
ASP pulleys
EEC Tuner
K&N w/ homemade inlet tube
FMS HD clutch
4.10 gears
Nitto 245-50-16 drag radials

My best ET with this setup is a 12.73. My best MPH is 106.96mph, and my best 60' on the nittos is a 1.76. I'm adding to the car a tremec TKO tranny, steeda Tri-Ax shifter, and Global West LCA's with del-a-lum bushings. The TKO is replacing my T5 that has a severly bent mainshaft. I'm aware that the TKO usually lowers HP to the wheels due to its beefier nature, but I don't want to slow down due to this, and its added weight. I really wanted to trap 108mph this year, but at a minimum I just don't want to slow down. Anyone have suggestions?

Here are some ideas, but I'm looking for more and opinions on them:
-Get 2.5" tail pipes
-Have my lower intake ported
-Get an aluminum flywheel as I may need a new one anyway because I have already had the stock unit resurfaced twice already.

I had an alum. DS on my car a while back, but with the bent mainshaft it made my vibrations worse. I plan on reinstalling it when the TKO goes in to maybe help gain some RWHP back. I can not mill the heads since my cam's lift is pretty high and my piston to valve clearance is really close.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

1995 NA GT CONVERTIBLE
BEST PASS TO DATE: 12.19 at 112.51
AFR's, FTI cam, edelbrock intake, EEC TUNER and all the bolt ons on the stock shortblock.

http://www.angelfire.com/pa2/killercanary
Killercanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 12:29 AM   #2
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Do the following and you'll be trapping at least 108.

Edelbrock performer intake--->Holley intake
FMS shorty SS ported headers-->Long tubes
Battery relocation kit

What about an electric fan? I also didn't see subframe conectors in your list of mod's,but I'm assuming you have them?
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 12:59 AM   #3
Killercanary
Registered Member

My intake was a gift from my wife and I don't think she'd appreciate me getting rid of it, though the thought has crossed my mind. I may have a way of getting a holley intake for my car, but I won't know for another month of so. Long tubes... well I hate the idea of scrapping my bassani x pipe and FMS headers to buy all new parts, that's gonna be costly.

I do have global west subframe connectors.

1995 NA GT CONVERTIBLE
AFR's, FTI cam, edelbrock intake, EEC TUNER and all the bolt ons on the stock shortblock.

Old 01-25-2002, 10:33 AM   #4
91GTturbo
Registered Member

I'm with 1BAD89, what about an electric fan. That with the additon of a k&n and msd on my stock GT picked me up 3/10ths in the 1/8th. I can't remember the mph increase, but I attribute most of the gain from the free hp from the fan. You've got the all the right parts, what about weight reduction? What kind of wheels are you running, the factory ones are very heavy compared to some of the aftermarket welds and centerline wheels. Verts are noisy anyway and I know it's a job, but remove all the sound dampening material. Take the spare tire and jack out if you haven't already. Every little bit helps.

Wish I could help more.
Old 01-25-2002, 11:24 AM   #5
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

I would think the Holley intake would pick up at least .2's, and the longtubes a few tenths. But I totally understand your situation. I would say electric fan, and move the battery to the back if you haven't already. With those two mod's I think you should trap 108. Because your almost trapping 107 as you sit, I think 1mph+ would be pretty than reasonable with those mod's. I'm a pretty big fan of the battery in the back, I've got a morosso kit brand new, if your interested PM me. (And no that is not why I suggested the battery relocation kit.) What kind of wheels are you running? If your running stock on front, get some 15x4 convo pro's, that's what I'm running on my truck, and they are really light, and they are not too expensive.

1. Electric fan
2. Skinnies up front
3. Battery relocation kit maybe

That way you could keep your intake, headers, and X-pipe.
The reason I suggested the Holley is because it's a good chunk of money to get your lower ported, unless you planning on doin it yourself?

Last edited by 1BAD89; 01-25-2002 at 11:32 AM..
Old 01-25-2002, 12:17 PM   #6
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

Get some slicks on with the new stronger parts and get that 60 foot down!

You can knock off another .2-.3 there easy!

Skyler

RIP
----
1993 Notch w/ 98 4V 4.6 Fasttt...

-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
12.32@109

-1999 Black Cobra Coupe-
JBA Shorties, Bassani Cat-X, Magnaflow 3", Pulleys, 85mm Pro-M, Ported Intake, Soild Rear w/ 4.30s, Tubular Front End, X2C arms, 13lb batt, few others.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 01:25 PM   #7
AJSTANG
Registered Member

Port intake and heads, long tube headers, bigger MAF
Old 01-25-2002, 07:11 PM   #8
Killercanary
Registered Member

Thanks guys...

Since my car is a 95GT, it came factory equiped with an electric fan. I've tried to locate someone to port my intake, but the guy I really wanted to do it just doesn't have the time to do it right now. I may attempt it myself...

I'd like to throw my dad's ported Holley intake on my car a day to see how it works. Also, my dad just got a new holley systemax II kit as he had problems with the old one, I'm going to see if I can purchase it from Holley at a discounted price. Who knows, they may go for it. I already planned to do what Skyman said. Since I'm adding new LCA's, welding my torque boxes, and adding a TKO, I plan on throwing on some ET streets to try to cut a 1.6 60' and see how much the ET falls. I can't wait for that!

Wheels are 16X7 chrome split 5 stars with 225-55-16 up front, and the Nitto 245-50-16's out back.

What about an aluminum flywheel? I may need a new one anyway since I have had my stock unit resurfaced twice already, and it will need it again when I put the new disc in for the TKO swap. I figure the alum DS and alum flywheel should get me back to near the RWHP numbers I had before the swap due to their light weight. What do you think?

1995 NA GT CONVERTIBLE

Old 01-25-2002, 09:52 PM   #9
gtsr515
Registered Member

Skylers got it right, get some slicks, and you'll pick up everywhere, just out of curiousity, why are you so concerened about trap speed? no flames, just curious?

What gears you got?
Old 01-26-2002, 12:32 AM   #10
Killercanary
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gtsr515
Skylers got it right, get some slicks, and you'll pick up everywhere, just out of curiousity, why are you so concerened about trap speed? no flames, just curious?

What gears you got?
Why am I concerned with trap speed... well, trap speed is a direct result of HP. I'm more worried about this because on the street, ET doesn't mean a hole heck of a lot, but the amount of power you have does. Its not that hard to bolt on some slicks at the track and drop ET but its a lot harder to gain MPH. On the street where traction is almost always hard to find, HP and torque win the race, and since my car is a convertible and I do not have a 6 point cage, my track days are probably limited in number, especially since my track is now under new ownership and is switching from NHRA to IHRA. So, basically I want a fast street car and trap speed (and therefore HP) is what I seek most. I hope this helps explain my reasoning...

BTW- I have 4.10 gears.

1995 NA GT CONVERTIBLE

Old 01-28-2002, 02:23 PM   #11
gtsr515
Registered Member

The bottom line is torque is what accelerates the car, horsepower is like you said indicative of top speed.

So if torque is what accelerates the car, wouldn't it make more sense to put down the power you have now, with say stickier tires, I use slicks wherever I go, law be damned, it's only a ticket, and I honestly have never gotten one, and i've been stopped a billion times, and with that awesome traction, beat many cars with much more "power".

I think I understand where your coming from, but i disagree that E.T doesn't matter on the street, I mean, how do you race? from a roll-on at 50 feet or what?, E.T is the number that wins the race, not how fast you got there, that cannot be denied.

Like I first said no flames here, but if you pull up next to a guy with 300 horsepower and slicks, and the other guy has 400 horsepower and street stickies, the 400 horse is gonna loose.

Try some slicks dude, you'll love 'em.

Good Luck, and spank a Camaro for me!!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2002, 05:22 PM   #12
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Running slicks on the street is stupid and expensive. And slicks at the track are probaly going to lower his mph, but drop some tenths. There is nothing like launching hardcore with slicks.
Old 01-30-2002, 05:58 PM   #13
gtsr515
Registered Member

By stupid, I assume you mean from a safety standpoint?, I agree, but the unbeatable traction was irresistable, and who gives a rip about expensive, and speaking of stupid and expensive, nice burnout picture.
Old 01-30-2002, 06:37 PM   #14
89 ATI
Registered Member

Get rid of the stock tail pipes. That is killing you with a motor that moves that much air.

"Our lady of blessed acceleration don't fail me now" Elwood Blues
89 ATI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 07:38 PM   #15
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Quote:
By stupid, I assume you mean from a safety standpoint?, I agree, but the unbeatable traction was irresistable, and who gives a rip about expensive, and speaking of stupid and expensive, nice burnout picture.
Yes I am talking from a safety standpoint. They might have unbeatable traction, but it only takes one time to get in a car wreck and lose your life, also you'll get find heavily if you get caught driving with slicks. Save the slicks for the track. I'm glad you like the burnout picture. By the way, the tire had a plug from a nail that I picked up, and it's tread was toast, it was a great time to do a burnout and take a picture. Once again, I am thrilled that you liked it!

Last edited by 1BAD89; 01-30-2002 at 07:49 PM..
Old 01-30-2002, 09:31 PM   #16
Killercanary
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gtsr515
The bottom line is torque is what accelerates the car, horsepower is like you said indicative of top speed.

So if torque is what accelerates the car, wouldn't it make more sense to put down the power you have now, with say stickier tires, I use slicks wherever I go, law be damned, it's only a ticket, and I honestly have never gotten one, and i've been stopped a billion times, and with that awesome traction, beat many cars with much more "power".

I think I understand where your coming from, but i disagree that E.T doesn't matter on the street, I mean, how do you race? from a roll-on at 50 feet or what?, E.T is the number that wins the race, not how fast you got there, that cannot be denied.

Like I first said no flames here, but if you pull up next to a guy with 300 horsepower and slicks, and the other guy has 400 horsepower and street stickies, the 400 horse is gonna loose.

Try some slicks dude, you'll love 'em.

Good Luck, and spank a Camaro for me!!!!!!!
You sort of got my point, but like I said ET doesn't mean a hole lot on the street. It does, but not to the point that it does on the track. 99.9% of the drivers on the street (except you) don't run slicks on the street, heck 95% don't even run drag radials. So, for instance, my dad's 91GT ran 13.6's with just gears, exhaust, pulleys, and Mickey Thompson Sportman's, but his MPH was only 98 or so. These were the times he got with sticky tires on the track, on the street he ran regular radials. In that form, he'd be lucky to break into the 13's. On the street however, if he raced a camaro which was turning about the same times at the track the sheer power of the camaro would have eaten my dad's car. (Not now though... it run's 12.6 at 107..he, he) I just think you missed my point, the car with the most power is gonna win, unless they have no traction at all and only race for 60 feet, cause after that, the more powerful car will be chasing down the slower car with a vengance. To sum it up, ET is easy to find with sticky tires at the track, but MPH will make up for a lack of traction on the street. Does this clear it up any?

1995 NA GT CONVERTIBLE

Old 01-30-2002, 10:03 PM   #17
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

I agree with some of the above, i had'nt read this whole post, but i agree with the traction thing, I too have beaten many cars that have more power, stangs are good off the line, and you dont necesarily have to have slick's to get the hole shot, I get chased down bye the bolton ls1 on the street yea, but the crowd of people that are standing around, see me handing him his tail off the line, he can come back and say he caught me and beat me on the top, where noone is standing, then thats when i say, good run, but i only have 302 c.i's, with stock cam and heads? lol

regarless with my e.t. streets im laying baws to the wall launches on 350hp cars, with my 225-240 hp.
Police package 5spd 90 Lx, Stock original motor, 3.27grs, BM fan, fms 10.5 clutch, D&D quadrant, and adjuster, ADS chip, 180 stat, mac cai, mac h-pipe, mac subframe connectors, ASP crank pulley, ripper shifter, 26x10.5 M/T sport pros welds. 246 hp according to analyzer
Race weight: 3,120

E.t-13.57 with 26x10.50's e.t. streets. 1.88 60'

mph- 99.92 mph
Coupe5oh is offline   Reply With Quote