MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-08-2001, 10:48 PM   #1
leo
Registered Member

Unhappy She caught on fire...

I was driving home last night and after doing about 130mph on Hwy75, I slowed down and about a couple of minutes later I start to smell burning plastic coming from under the hood. And then 30 seconds later POP! I loose all power except battery of course, and I coast to the side of the road. Steam/smoke starts bellowing out of under the hood. And then the paint in the center of my hood starts to bubble and peals away real fast... so at this point I realize its a fire! Popped the hood and the ***** had a damn campfire going under the upper intake along the fuel rails! Luckily I had a fire extinguisher and put it out quickly, so it could be worse. I've have cinged the folling from what it looks like:

-Ac line to compressor
-upper radiator hose (blew a hole through the side next to the distributor)
-distributor melted completely
-fuel rails (seals are melted down)
-injector and dist. harnesses
-injectors
-probably much more..

It turns over but no spark obviously, i thinks the radiator hose blew (pop) and knocked out the ac line and started torching everything since it is flammable.. So this all sucks and luckily I have most of the parts to fix it... I'll be needing a repainted hood to...

Leo

------------------
1990GT 5.0 302, T-5, Steeda shifter, Explorer Upper, Cobra Lower, MAC pullies, 3.73's, K&n Air filter, Dynomax Super Turbo Exhaust, Motorsport headers, RAM Clutch, Motorsport 3 core, Offroad H-pipe, 17in Cobra R's.
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2001, 12:55 AM   #2
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Thumbs down

Oh man, that sucks...
I just recently had a foglight fire, one of the stock foglight wires ground out and when i pulled into the driveway a bunch of smoke was coming out, and the lights were out, I yanked the wire off the battery and it stopped. I just fixed it about a week ago, just cut the wires off the old foglight harness and rewired it.
Good luck, man, I know it sucks...

------------------
Joe! 1988 GT, 167,000 miles!!! 13.58@105mph Check out my listing! Click here! Or my website:www.joe4speed.com
99 Ninja ZX-6R:10.32@135mph!
1993 Olds Eighty Eight LSS 16.40@88.8mph
joe4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2001, 04:38 PM   #3
foxandfoe
Registered Member

i couldnt get that lucky i want my bird to burn its worth more. the blown radiator hose
probly helped keep damage down. ive seen it even put the fire out. ive redone several burnt engine bays. its easy just use good wiring diagram and take your time you'll
never know. use shrink wrap and solder every
connectin or there will be problems maybe even fire good luck
foxandfoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2001, 07:03 PM   #4
jerryIII

just so you peeps don't feel alone...

I put my newly rebuilt motor in my car a couple weeks ago... looked kick *** (fresh paint, new manifold, carb, valve covers, wires and dist (almost didn't start it, it looked so good)...

started her up took it for a drive (ran mint)..

got back to the house to make some minor adjustments, and gas everywhere on the intake...

tightened the fuel line, made adjustments, started her up,,,,, whoof, flames 6 feet high (luckily, i did'nt put the hood on)...

the coin toss caused me to put the fire out, another 3 hours of wire and line repair, runnin again, but looks like hell...

did'nt want to say anything... ;-)

------------------
Black,84 GT,ground effects,shorty headers, 'open' dual exh.,302 HO(no pollution control crap),T5,89 ported heads,edelbrock Performer manifold, Edelbrock 2122 cam,600 Holley, high volume oil pump...

gears (4:10's) coming soon. N2O, soon to follow!!!