MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-08-2002, 12:13 PM   #1
Scrapla
Registered Member

Default Building a short block

I'm gonna attepmt to build a stock 302 short block for my 90gt cause my car has over 130k on it and I have almost the whole top end brand new under my bed such as upper and lower intake, mass air and TB and well I was gonna get a engine lift andj just build it up in my shed not all racey just so i can start with a fresh engine, I can afford about $600 a month for parts, this will be my first time attpemting this so can anyone recomend some good reading or maybe a helpful website on building a short block, also is it better to go with a new block or will a used block work fine?

RICE HATERS MEMBER #73
Scrapla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 04:58 PM   #2
82 GT
Import Slayer

There are plenty of books out here about rebuilding Ford engines.
There is one called "Rebuilding Your Small Block Ford" in the Summit catalog that I'm going to get.
You will need some special tools(if you don't have them already) such as a torque wrench, ring compressor, feeler gauges or platigauge and that's to name only a few.
A used block will be fine as long as it's cleaned and checked by a machine shop.
You are also going to have to keep all your parts and bolts in order as you take your engine apart. The rods and pistons will have to be labeled what cylinder they came out of.
It's something you have to take your time with and double check clearances.
You might also want to label all vacuum hoses and wires in your engine compartment if you are unsure where they go.
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote