MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-10-2002, 09:50 AM   #1
COUSIN ROB
Registered Member

Question Short throw shifters?

The time has come for me to replace my stock shifter with a short throw type. I have had a problem with a bit of gear grinding going up into second and some times into third. Only when booting it around on the street. It sure takes the wind out of your sails when you grind gears during a street race. Don't know if the transmission will explode or not.
My question is what type to buy? What kind of shifters have you guys had good luck with and would recommend. I have heard Steed Triax mentioned a lot. My mechanic said Hurst is good, sounds kind of old though. And a Saleen dealer ship her recomends thier shifter.
Any help is always appreciated.
COUSIN ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 11:06 AM   #2
subterfuge
Registered Member

I've been running the PRO 5.0 since the beginning of the summer, and its great. And the spring loading is really nice to, especially for the 2-3 shift.
subterfuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 05:11 PM   #3
Torinalth
Registered Member

I'd suggest the steeda Tri Ax shifter, or the B&M.

Torinalth
Old 06-10-2002, 09:42 PM   #4
gilmoujr
Registered Member

I just bought a Steeda Tri-Ax for my 02 GT today. It should be here in a couple of days and I will tell you how I like it.
gilmoujr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 10:49 PM   #5
Bob98GT
Registered Member

i've had the Steeda Triax for 2 months now. it is so much better than stock. i've driven a stang with a B&M shifter, and didn't find it as positive as the Steeda.

also, the Steeda has a high and a low position for mounting the handle. the high position puts it to the same height as the stock, and the low makes it about 3 inches lower. i have tried it in both, and it takes alot of work for me to get it into 5th when it is in the low position. i just keep it in the high setting now.

Party ON!

98 GT

K&N cold air intake
Cherry Bomb Vortex mufflers
3.73's
Steeda Tri-ax shifter
Bob98GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 03:20 AM   #6
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

I so GO STEEDA Tri Ax. Its a great shifter. I've felt Pro 5.0's in other cars and wasnt all that crazy about them, but everyone has there preferances.

As for your grinding...Hmm...Doesnt sound good. Maybe you should get the tranny looked at first before putting on a short Throw Shifter.

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 10:11 AM   #7
TruBluePony
Registered Member

I've had a PRO 5.0 in mine since about March. It is a definite improvement. But any aftermarket shifter would be better than the stock and you'll probably be happy with any of them. The shorter height may be an issue for you though so you should go with one that adjusts.
TruBluePony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 02:05 PM   #8
StangGT2002

STEEDA Tri Ax....nuff said!!
Old 06-11-2002, 03:04 PM   #9
COUSIN ROB
Registered Member

Smile

Thanks to all for the great response. Based on your guys experience i am going with the Steeda set to the high adjustment.
I hear nothing but good about Steeda. This will be my first mod to my 96 GT rag top. I will post again when I get the price plus installation. I unfortunately can not do it my self, sad I know.
Next is Cat backs. I am thinking either Bassini or 3 chamber Flow Masters. FM's up here are about $550 (cat back) and Bassini are about $850. Canadian dollars.
Thanks again for all the help.
Oh Ya, I think I exaggerated the gear grinding a bit. But you know how it is, ya want to make sure that you have it in gear before you pop the clutch when you have serious acceleration in mind.
Old 06-11-2002, 03:45 PM   #10
StangGT2002

Good choice to go with the Steeda Tri Ax, but I would suggest putting the shifter handle on the LOW setting....the shifts will be even shorter than the high setting(although the high setting is still shorter than stock throws). As far as the Cat back, go with the BASSANI(like i did ), its much better quality than flowmaster and you will get better performance from the Bassani "straight thru" mufflers. The sound is awesome too, especially when you remove the baffles! Just my .02 cents!
Old 06-11-2002, 11:10 PM   #11
Lizard King
midnightruns.com

I had the B&M in my 2000GT... it was ok.
A buddy had the saleen... sucked ***.
Never tried the Pro5.0

but I know the Steeda is THE BEST. A buddy of mine has it... and it is AMAZING! Adjustments are perfect... and clicks when you shift... you won't be able to get better. Worth every dollar.

NEW CAR! - 2002 GT TrueBlue - Best Stock ET - 13.77

Old Lizard - 2000GT Electric Green - Best ET STOCK: 13.662 @ 100.2MPH
Lizard King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 10:46 AM   #12
MIKESHAW
Registered Member

i have a steeda for about 6 months . no problems go with a steeda!
MIKESHAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 04:37 PM   #13
GodStang
College Stanger

I have had the steeda for alittle of a year now. At first it was alittle tight but after a month it loosened up alot. I had it in the high postion and my buddy with a 98 cobra and a b&M shifter said I do not like it it is too high. So I took 10 mins lowered it and its great. The moral of the story: I can lower or raise mine. He cannot. I love my Steeda to death. I put the Steeda Clutch Quad set up on withmy steeda shifter. It is the greatest. GET IT YOU WILL NOT REGREAT IT. Good Luck.
Old 06-17-2002, 01:56 PM   #14
Ramin
Registered Member

The two best are the TriAx and the pro 5.0.I have the TriAx and love it.I have done quite a bit of work to my 2000 GT and the TriAx is one of my favorite.
Ramin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 03:26 AM   #15
afeezor97
GRNSNAK

Talking sorry, just had to mention it...

I have been using the Hurst shifter for over a year now and love it. Its got adjustable positive stops, and getting in gear is crisp, and i have never messed up a shift sence the install, it was a definate improvement. But yes, it seems everyone i know uses the Steeda shifter. I just thought i would say something about the Hurst, sence no one else has.
afeezor97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 09:19 AM   #16
COUSIN ROB
Registered Member

Smile

I have the Steeda installed now. Sure works nice. Very positive shifts. No missing 3rd now. I am actually surprised that the shifting distance does not seem much shorter. The knob is up at at the stock shifter height. Maybe I should lower it.
The one thing I don't like about it is that it seems to transmit a lot more noise into the car. Is that normal or did the guy who installed it screw some thing up.
The cost up here for the shifter was approx $310 plus installation and tax. The guy offered me a Steeda knob for $79, I said no thanks. Nice but I am sticking with stock appearance for now.
Thanks again for all of your input.
Old 06-20-2002, 12:38 PM   #17
StangGT2002

I was one of the first to respond to this same thread, and suggested you should set the shifter handle height to the LOW setting. The shifts are more precise and the throws are shorter. I guarantee you 80% of the people who have the Tri Ax have the shifter handle on the LOW setting. As for the tranny noise, its normal with any aftermarket performance shifter(unless its REALLY bad, then it may have not been installed properly).Good Luck!
Old 06-20-2002, 02:53 PM   #18
COUSIN ROB
Registered Member

Question

Do any of you know how to remove the plastic surround from around the shifter on a 1996 to access the shifter. I would like to try it in the lower position.