Thread: 1000 to blow
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2001, 01:02 PM   #4
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

For an AOD car, the best mod you can make will be a 2800 rpm stall converter, a shift kit, and a set of 3.73 gears. Those together would put you pretty close to the $1000 mark if you do the converter install yourself.

If you don't want the gears right now (although you really need them to wake up the AOD), you may look into a converter and a Lentech valve body (awesome units that extend tranny life and shift faster and more consistant than a 5-speed...oh yeah, you get to control the shifts as well).

I'm suggesting tranny mods right now because the AOD is the weakest link in your car. It takes some money, but with the right parts, it will run like a 5-speed and get you off the line just as fast, and I guarantee that you will enjoy driving the car 100% more.

On the other hand, if you're contemplating swapping a T-5 in the future, you could skip working on the tranny and go for gears and full exhaust with perhaps enough to change out the throttle body and MAF.

------------------
--silver_pilate

'91 GT, Built 306, Wolverine 1087 cam, ported Windsor Jr. Irons, and all the goodies...click the link to the left to see a full list of my mods...

Tried and True 302 Being Built to Outrun You! heh heh heh...
--Texas Panhandle--
Check out my site
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote