Thread: timing advance
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2001, 10:51 AM   #3
88GT5.013.02

What's up 93SVTstang? I am the one who told you to bump the timing to 14 degrees. I just put out a number that would be safe on your car. My stock car took 17-18 degrees of timing, but I think that was due to a little slop in the timing chain.

I'm sure you already run 93-94 octane already right? If not then you will have to run high octane or you will ruin your motor. Do like the post above and bump the timing until it pings and back it off a degree until it stops pinging. To tell if it is pinging just take you car for a drive and get into second gear, then slow down to @10-15 mph (as slow as possible without the car stalling) and then punch it and listen for pinging.

The method for selecting the timing above isn't always the best, because there is also a point of diminishing returns. This means that you can have too much timing and your car will fall on its face at higher rpm's and there will be no performance gain. Always go by the seat of the pants feel, when you drive it. When you set the timing jump on it and see how it drives. Oh yeah make sure your friend takes out the spout connector, that little grey plug on the wiring harness that connects to the distributor (not the big grey plug connected to the distributor, but the small plug, only has I think two wires going to it, plug looks like a little square).

Once you bump the timing, you will not believe the jump in performance, you will have all smiles, until you get used to it and you get bit by the go fast bug ....again.

[This message has been edited by 88GT5.013.02 (edited 01-13-2001).]

[This message has been edited by 88GT5.013.02 (edited 01-13-2001).]