View Single Post
Old 11-06-2002, 04:08 AM   #20
jim_howard_pdx
Registered Member

Cool

Old Guy with an 87 GT wins a special prize, although this response belongs in the speed secret number one thread.

I was really counting on someone bringing up a 4 valve head. When you look at a new Acura Integra VTec II making 100 horsepower per liter, while getting over 30 miles per gallon, just what is going on? They are not packing in extra fuel or the gas mileage would crash and burn. So what is it?

It is the quench.

If you get a chance to see the heads on a Honda, you would see that the combustion chamber resembles a roof of a home. Instead of rising to a sharp point, they just transition into a smooth 1/2 inch ridge across the top of the chamber. This is the area where the precombustion takes place. Then the flame propogates down the sides of the roof line.

Measure the quench on this head, and you will find .06 to .08 quench across the entire piston. This is engineering dominance.

On my 358 I have a 57 cc wedge (after shaving the head), and I use a TRW forged 9/1 flat top utilizing a 13cc dish. I set this car up this way so I could run pump gas. But my quench area really stinks. Nothing like what I used on my 428 scj, on any of the hemi's I have built, or any of the 383's and 402 Chevy's I have raced. I figure I have close to 3 or 4 tenths of an inch space between the wedge and the dish.

On my honda VTec, there is a perfect .060 to .080 gap, direct from the factory. So this little 1.6 liter engine is as fast as a C code 289 in a 1966 Mustang. But it goes zero to 60 two seconds faster, and it gets 30 mpg around town and 42 miles per gallon at 60 mph. This is engineering dominance.

So guys, throw out those flat top pistons, and get to work with the dome pistons and the dye grinder.

By the way, my honda is 10.5 to 1 compression, and the LS 1.8 Acrura is 10.9 to 11.3 to 1 compression. So you get to make more horsepower, burn more efficient, use less fuel, AND get better volumetric efficiency without any detriments other than driving around in a rice burner.

While I do love my VTec on the street, when I build a racing honda or acura engine, the VTec gets deleted, because the engines are being run in the 5500 to 9500 rpm range anyway. No need to go between a stock lift and a race lift cam lobe when you are at a race track.

The VTec is for the street. When I hit 5500 rpm, the VTec swithes on and the feeling is alot like a turbo charger. You feel like you are being pushed from behind.

So next time you are around an acura dealership, ask them to test drive the new RSX Integra. 200 hp, 5 speeds and loads of fun. The car is especially well balanced, great brakes, and great handling.

Then call FORD and ask them why they cannot make an engine and a car with such qualities. The Focus is ok, I like it except for the styling, but it really falls short. The VR6 cylinder Jettas are the only thing close, and I like VWs about as much as I like a root canal.

Sorry, but I have broken so many VW parts racing, that I just will not build another one as long as I live.

I don't have these problems with Fords. They are built much tougher than most people could ever expect. They are safe, well made, and with the exception of profit over engineering, I think FORDs RULE.

First on Race Day.

Live it, breath it, and make the others brands beg for mercy.