View Single Post
Old 12-26-2000, 04:45 PM   #1
70stang
Registered Member

Question Need help with parts selections.

I need help matching parts for my rebuild. I have a 1970 Mustang convertible with a 351W, 3.70 Auburn posi-gear & an FMX Automatic. I want to add performance, but maintain drivability. I don't care about gas mileage. I would also like it to appear as origional as possible. I need to check my compression yet to see if I need new pistons and what the ratio is. I don't think I need new pistons though. I know I need to keep the 9.5:1 pistons due to cast-iron heads & detonation problems. I plan on doing a complete tear down, porting the heads & installing hardened seats. Any help with combinations and vendor names is appreciated. Here is what I have been looking at.

Headers......Hooker Super Comp
Exhaust......2 1/2" Dual w/ Flowmasters
Air Filter...K&N
Carb.........Holley 750cfm Dbl Pumper (Is this too much? I have a jet kit if needed.)
Intake.......Edelbrock Performer RPM (How does the Shelby Cobra intake compare?)
Rockers......Magnum Roller Rockers, 1.6 ratio
Springs......Need to match Cam
Valves.......Stainless Steel (Is it beneficial to change the valves?)
Pushrods.....Stainless Steel w/ hardened tips
Lifters......Hydraulic
Cam..........Hydraulic Comp Cams #35-238-3
Intake = .493 lift/218 duration @ 0.050 Exhaust = .500 lift/224 duration @ 0.050
-OR-
Hydraulic Comp Cams #35-418-3
Intake = .477 lift/219 duration @ 0.050
Exhaust = .510 lift/233 duration @ 0.050
(I think the second one may be too much.)
Timing Set...Double roller
Fuel Pump....High Volume
Oil Pump.....High volume w/ new pick up
Gaskets......Standard
Freeze Plugs.Standard
Gehrte Engines is going to do the head work, boil the block, intall new bearings, balance the crank & pistons, and do any cylinder work if necessary. Am I forgetting anything?
Thanks.

70stang is offline   Reply With Quote