Thread: Ram Air
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2002, 04:43 PM   #24
jim_howard_pdx
Registered Member

Cool

D a m n,

here I go again gettin techie on ya'll, and then out will come those jim bashers sayin I'm a know it all.

I don't know it all. I learn new stuff every day. I break everything I have ever raced. I build stuff at the edge of the envelope and I drive it like it will last forever....

Ram air.

Actually, hold you hand out the window of your car as you drive down the road. For every 17 mile per hour the temperature of the air compresses against your hand and drops 5 degrees f.

That is why a jet traveling 475 mph has an outside temperature of -30 degrees f to -60 degrees f. (the friction of the air warms the aluminum skin, but the compressed air cools it down and the temps above are what remains.

So at 17 mph your engine will love having denser, compressed, cool air. At 70 mph the air is really streaming in. At 120 when you go through the speed trap of your drag strip, the air is super cold, super dense, and tightly compacted. This is why ram air is so effective. It is free horsepower, but remember you will need to rejet your carb or you will go leaner as you go faster. This is disastrous. A speed density EFI might want some recalibration. A MAS EFI will make the corrections as part of its normal function.

Hope this helps.

Now try to stand on top of your car while it goes 70 mph. The wind blast will make you slip and slide, at 100 mph you could not remain on the car without tether straps.