View Single Post
Old 01-15-2003, 02:43 AM   #6
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Quote:
Originally posted by WADS56
So when you get a custum cam in a way you are paying for there knowledge not a special machined cam.
It is well worth it to go with a custom cam from a good builder. Wade
I know i'm gonna get myself in trouble pressing this issue, but i can't stand it i gotta ask it again. You really think these "builders" know more about cams than Ed Iskendarian or Clay Smith or Harvey Crane ?
I can understand if you're campaining a car and you run it and work on it constantly, and you're to the point where you know it so well that there is almost no place left to get anymore HP. Then you might custom grind a cam with another 2 degrees here or minus 2 degrees there just to see what it will get you. But to think some builder is so good that he can look at your combo and know so precisely what exact specs you need that he has to custom grand a cam to get them, thats not logical to me ? its just not that exact a science, there are to many variables involved, not to mention there are already thousands of cam profiles "on the shelf" between the major cam companies. Honestly i think this custom cam thing is, for the general hotrodder at least, a big marketing ploy... thats just my opinion and i know a lot of people disagree.
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote