View Single Post
Old 08-04-2001, 12:23 AM   #1
tb
Registered Member

Talking Found answer to my overheating problems...Good Info

For the past 6 months my temps have been 200..With the a/c on it would climb up to 240..I purchased a new STANT 180 degree thermostat...I heated up a pan of water and the thermostat did not open until the water water was boiling...Very strange..I decided to go ahead and install the thermostat..Took the car around the block and temps went up to 205...The car would still overheat..I inspected my 3 core radiator and could not find anything wrong with it..The waterpump is only 1 year old...I decided to do a test, I removed the thermostat and ran the car...It ran very cool (170-175 degrees)...This is a good thing...It has never ran this cool with absolutely no detonation...The power felt very good. Tomorrow, I will buy a 160 thermostat and see what happens, but first I will test it in a pan of hot water...In my opinion, STANT thermostats are very unpredictable...I hope the 160 will keep the temps at 180 degrees...

I do not understand why I can go into any car parts store and find only STANT thermostats....In my opinion, they are not very good...I think someone could make millions by competing against them and making a quality thermostat...Maybe I will try the Autozone brand...If anyone is having overheating problems, try running your car without a thermostat and see what happens..Good Luck..
tb is offline   Reply With Quote