View Single Post
Old 08-12-2004, 06:28 AM   #49
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

THanks for letting me know about MSD...I'll return that light and get the older style ASAP.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by andy669
First of all, MSD does not recommend dial-back type timing lights when timing engines that use their ignition boxes.

Should I be pulling the chip when I check for timing??

[QUOTE]Originally posted by andy669
The flat spot on the very top of the pointer is where you want to read the timing number at. If I understand you correctly "B" on your picture is 10 degrees BTDC. If your black mark on your balancer ("B" on your picture) was at that place on the pointer when you were checking timing, I'd say your timing is about 14 degrees BTDC. Thats probably too much with your chip. Of course I cant be certain of anything since you are using that dial back light.

You have the best mail order chip out there, however I would like to see you disconnect it once, set your timing to 36 degrees, leave the spout out, and see how it runs.

NEver knew that...thanks for the info!! When you say rotate 90, do you mean rotate the MAF towards the block?
Quote:
Originally posted by andy669
As for having bends before the MAF, that can be compensated for by rotating the MAF itself. I have found 8 horsepower on the chassis dyno by doing nothing but rotating the mass air meter 90 degrees.

Andy
Engine is a 1969 351 block w/393 stroker kit. Dynamic Roller Myte C4, 8 pt cage. Edlebrock Performer heads and Victor Jr. EFI, FRPP 30lb injectors & Cartech fuel system. MSD ignition. Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, adj. upper's, 3.73's, Koni rear shocks, much more
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote