View Single Post
Old 11-04-2004, 06:17 PM   #48
Scotfro
Registered Member

Default Re: Help! Mustang wont start!

Same problem with 1990 LX 5.0:

I recently acquired this car from a friend. It has set-up for 3 years in his garage. He told me that the last time it was running it ran really rough and he could smell fuel in the exhaust like it was running really rich. When he towed the car to my house, it did not have a battery. Once a new battery was in and the ignition was turned to the on position, fuel sprayed out the rear end of the car.

After investigation it was found that the fuel line that runs from the pump to the filter was laying directly on the replacement exhaust that he had put on the car 1000 miles before he stopped driving it. The fuel hose had a hole burned in the side of it. After telling him, he said he would never visit Midas again!

Once a new hose was found I installed it and attempted to start the car. Same thing as Mustang Lover's problem: engine cranks well, but never turns over; fuel pump continues to run and never shuts off as normal after pressure build-up; pulled plugs and found good spark on several; we can hear a gushing sound in the fuel rail near the regulator (almost sounds like an air leak); pushed in shrader valve on fuel supply and fuel gushes out with what seems to be good pressure (have not verified with gauge); engine tries to turn over and run with starter fluid sprayed into intake.

It seems we have the identical problem with different operating conditions. Mustang Lover was driving as normal and my car has been sitting idle for 3 years. I did pull the tank down to change the fuel hose and did not notice before, but now the fuel guage does not read any level. I know it has at least 5 gallons in the tank.

Based on the previous posts, it seems as if I am going to purchase a computer also, but I don't really want to take it to a shop. The local ford dealer lists the computer for $253.00 remanufactured, which was better than I thought it would be.

Let me know what y'all think please.

-Scott
Scotfro is offline   Reply With Quote