View Single Post
Old 01-27-2001, 10:06 PM   #4
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

I agree; forged pistons are better for nitrous or boost.

That's not to say that hypereutectics won't hold up if set up right. Look what Lidio did with that stock 4.6 and a turbo....wasn't he in the 9's when the motor chunked? And wasn't it the rod that broke before the piston?

Hypereutectics are good because they are light weight and have less thermal expansion that forged pistons. Therfore you can run them to tighter tolerances. However, they can't take the same types of beatings that forged pistons can.

Bottom line...if you're going to go hyper, get a mechanic who has worked with the Keith Blacks before. Piston ring gap is critical when setting up hypereutectic pistons for different applications. If you set up the rings for N/A and run nitrous or a blower, you will blow the ring lands right off the pistons. Also, hypers do not hold up well to detonation. Make sure your car is in good tune so you don't pit the piston.

--nathan

------------------
--silver_pilate

'91 GT, Built 306, Wolverine 1087 cam, ported Windsor Jr. Irons, and all the goodies...click the link to the left to see a full list of my mods...

Tried and True 302 Being Built to Outrun You! heh heh heh...
--Texas Panhandle--
Check out my site

[This message has been edited by silver_pilate (edited 01-27-2001).]
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote