Thread: code scanners
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2001, 01:13 PM   #5
PKRWUD

If you opt for a scan tool, as opposed to a code reader, look into getting one that is currently OBD I and OBD II compatible, or at least is easily and cheaply upgraded to OBD II. You only need OBD I diagnostic capabilities for your car, but if you're going to spend that much money, you should get a scan tool that can check other vehicles as well. My personal scan tool is an OTC MindReader, which works killer, and really does all the work for me, but I bought when OBD II wasn't available. I can upgrade it, but it involves changing the PROM, and will cost more than 2/3 the cost of an entirely new MindReader, so I'm in a bind. I now must be able to read OBD II systems, and will likely end up spending another $500 to get a new tool. If you make sure yours is OBD II compatible now, you will avoid this headache. For a cool little pdf brochure on the new MindReader, click here (or copy and paste it to your web browsers address line): http://www.otctools.com/brochures/219-1.pdf

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote