View Single Post
Old 07-16-2002, 10:51 PM   #43
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Bottom line is, anything is worth what you're willing to sell it for or what somebody else is willing to buy it for.

I find nothing wrong with Mach 1's statements here. The only statements I really have an issue with is the idea of taking advantage of some young kid. Were you not a young kid once? I've been screwed on cars before, and it can really mess a persons plans up, bad. Ask a fair price and leave the screwing to the lawyers.

Here's what I know from buying 6 different Mustangs, and 9 cars overall. The dealers are usually the best places to find deals on Mustang GT's in the fox era. They don't think the POS is part of the family, and they just want the thing off the damn lot.

If you want it to sell, price it to sell. Nobody wants to negotiate a lot on a heap. If the car is worth $1500, as in this case an accurate price for a car with shoddy bodywork, underbody welding, crappy paint that doesn't match, a questionable tranny, shot carpet, poorly fit together interior, and hidden damage from accidents, then I think asking $3200 will more than likely

1. Tick people off for wasting their time when they come out to look at a $3200 car and find a $1500 car. (It'd tick me off)

2. If accurately portrayed on the initial phone call, nobody will come and look at it.

I drove 200mi from Ardmore, OK to Tulsa, OK to look at a 1987GT Convertable priced at $3500. Long story short, it was comparable to what is listed by RPM 427. I was irate that I wasted my time. I didn't even bother test driving it. I felt sorry for the kid though. He had been in an accident (friends car) and was on crutches. He lost his job because of it and needed money badly. That's pretty much why he had the car priced the way he did.

Best way to sell a car? Price it at what you truely feel market value is, or a little less. If you don't think the price it where you want it idea works, you need to buy a few more cars. I don't like negotiating. I like to know what somebody wants so I know whether I can get it, and I know what I'm really gonna be looking at. IE. Mustang priced at $5000/OBO Now means $5000 or maybe $4700 if they feel like taking. OBO is just a little tag on the end saying make an offer, and maybe I'll take it. Mustang priced at $4000 firm. Which am I gonna look at first? LOL. Not even a question, the $4k car. Why? I don't want to waste my time on a potentially good deal by bargaining with a guy who may not go that low. I tend to do a little market research before I buy.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote