MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-13-2004, 03:19 AM   #1
smokedchevy
Registered Member

Default Some Feedback for the Catco H-Pipe

92 GT. I just installed the Catco H-pipe with high flow converters from Summitt Racing. Thought I'd give everyone a little feedback in case you're thinking of buying it, since it is the cheapest H-pipe w/ converters on the market. First of all the sound. Sounds great! I'm running two chamber flows, so when you nail the gas it sounds sweet. Interior resonating is a mutha!!

As for the fit, it sucks. The stock H-pipe center to center of the flange where it connects to the header is something like 22-1/2". The Catco pipe was around 21-1/4". I had to bend it an inch out in order to get it to fit to the headers(which are stock by the way). The hangars that mount to the trans crossmember were way off. It is impossible to get the pipe high enough to slide the hangars into the respective holes. Probably would've required dropping the transmount. So, I bent them up. Got it to slide into the holes, but it was about 1-1/2" short of mating to the headers. So, I cut them off with a grinder and bolted the h pipe to the headers, jacked up the center section of the h-pipe with a floor jack, then welded the hangars on to their new correct location. After all that it fit pretty good. There is a slight leak where the mufflers connect to the hipe. Might need to put an exhaust donut in there. I just left it for now. Anybody else have one of these? And did it go on smooth? I've had a BBK offroad pipe before and it fit like stock. I have a hard time believing they would be that far off in their tooling. Thanks.
92 GT, 4:10 gears, centerforce clutch, 6# powerdyne blower, bbk h-pipe, flowmasters

65 Mustang 13.50 107mph 3000' ALt.

65 Falcon Straight Axle Drag Car
smokedchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 03:07 PM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Default Re: Some Feedback for the Catco H-Pipe

Yeah. I shipped mine back to Summitt. It wasn't even close to fitting, and it appeared to be a big piece of junk. Add in the fact that it uses 2 1/4" pipe, and I certainly wouldn't consider buying another one.

Don't expect the BBK catted H pipe to line up either though. At least I got Summitt to agree to cover the warranty before I heated it up and bent it into position.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 04:22 PM   #3
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

I ended up fabricating my own exhaust system after sending back my BBK H-pipe because of a poor fit.

I made a 2 1/2 H-pipe and from the H section to the mufflers is 2 3/4 stainless, I have some 3 inch Summit mufflers dumped before the axle.

My car is the quietest 12 second mustang around wich is what i wanted. Everyone is always asking me what mufflers I am running.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 09:22 PM   #4
smokedchevy
Registered Member

I'm glad it wasn't just me. I wasn't about to put the stock pipe back on and return the Catco's. I guess we just have to get creative. If it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer!

I also have a pair of the Summit mufflers on my 65 falcon. I welded them right to a pair of flanges so I could bolt them to the headers directly. I just use the mufflers to load and unload my car on the trailer. When I get to the track, off they go!!
92 GT, 4:10 gears, centerforce clutch, 6# powerdyne blower, bbk h-pipe, flowmasters

65 Mustang 13.50 107mph 3000' ALt.

65 Falcon Straight Axle Drag Car
smokedchevy is offline   Reply With Quote