MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-12-2001, 07:40 AM   #1
gon4x4n
Registered Member

Question Coast High 331 vs 347

Well I didn't get very many respsonces to my extremely long post so I'll try a shorter version.
I really need your input on which stoker to buy. I have a s-trim w/aftercooler and lots of other goodies.

I talked to Coast and was leaning towards a 331 because some of the 347 posts have scared me. However they assured me that any oil problems are not a problem with there shortblocks.

Also since this is going in an F150 he suggested the 347 because it makes alot more torque at lower rpms than a 331.

So what do you all say? please help
gon4x4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2001, 02:47 PM   #2
88PONY
Registered Member

First is i would stay away from Coast High.
I've seen 3 motors explode by them. One motor they claimed to be a low comp. blower motor.
It was a 347. The customer kept on blowing head gaskets when he got on it. Then we got our hans on it and it was a 10:2-1 347. They claimed this is what he ordered,but not according to his receipt. To make a long story short he had to deal with legal B/S.
He won, but that was a real waste of $6000.

If your on a buget like me...I would look at
DSS Racing.com. They are very helpful,and my car went faster than they predicted.

Good Luck

------------------
88 NOTCH DSS 331CI C-4 BRAKE 4:10'S 11.5-1 DART IRON HEADS X-CAM 1.7 ROCKERS 8PT. CAGE BEST 10.9@125MPH 100% STREETALBE TO ME!!!
88PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2001, 03:45 PM   #3
clearwaterms
Registered Member

The DSS is a great motor, they have all of there own machine equipment on hand. I have heard nothing but great things from them.
clearwaterms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2001, 02:39 AM   #4
MiracleMax
Registered Member

347's usually get a bad rap because the pin location is high up in the piston and if it intrudes into the ring area oil consumption goes up. Also people don't care for the rod to stroke ratio at 1.59:1 but to be honest the high and mighty chevshit 454 has a crappier R/S ratio (not to mention a 400 sbc) or even a Ponticrap 455, for that matter.

However even at a comparitavely low 3500 fps piston speed the thing can live for extended periods of time at 6100 rpm. (talking 2 bolt block with studs and girdle)

As for more torque down lower, yeah if you've got a set of heads designed for a 302 it'll do that. Put on a set of heads designed for a 351 and it'll think its a 351. Strokes about the same and the bore is the same. Rod length s are different so naturally side loading with the 351 is gonna be lower.

Personally I would get a stroker kit and go find a macnine shop that knows their crap. That way you can check things out as its built and have more control over what goes on. Not to knock DSS (I've heard good things about them too, and read all the stuff about Coast here). But look at it like this, if you get a stroker short block from some body doing mass-production the Guy's name who is on the sign ain't the one building each and every motor. It's somebody else. That really comes down to do they have good hiring practices. If not then you end up with a piece of Junk like everybody is talking about from Coast.

Ultimately it comes dwon to the quality of work perfomed on the engine and how you set it up. Just like everything else. CRAP N = Crap OUT
MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2001, 03:10 AM   #5
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

LMAO, ehhehe, "ponticrap" thats hilarious
90dpscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote