MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-01-2002, 03:14 PM   #1
Kamaro Killer
Mustang Enthusiast

Default how can you tell between an AOD and T-5?

This may be a dumb question for some of you experts, but I just want to make sure. I have a 5 speed so I am assuming that I have a t-5. Is the only difference between an AOD and a t-5 that an AOD is a for an automatic and a t-5 is for a manual?
Kamaro Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 03:37 PM   #2
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

Default there is no stupid questons..just stupid people

yes you are correct..AOD stands for Automatic Over Drive..t-5 is the 5 speed tranny that borg and warner orginally made now tremec owns them and they put there name on all new t-5's

You might want to hold on..i saw this on a cartoon once
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 04:02 PM   #3
Kamaro Killer
Mustang Enthusiast

Cool, I just wanted to make sure before I go out and buy parts for my tranny. Thanks!
Old 04-01-2002, 04:45 PM   #4
Piston
Registered Member

Just so you know don't put too much money into a t5 they suck. They are usually the first drive train component that breaks on a beefed stang. Instead of dumping money into it replace it with something better. That's my 2 cents.
Stock Bottom End 302. With TFS stage II ported and milled heads. Anderson B2 cam with 1.6RR. Hooker Full Tube Headers flowing into offroad H-Pipe out Hooker mufflers. Ported Edelbrock Preformer Upper/Lower.
Lots of other Goodies...
Just bought a nice forged 331 stroker kit for a new block that should be ready to take 650hp of abuse.
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 10:21 PM   #5
dod racing
Registered Member

how much is a good tranny?? I found an 89 gt that needs a new tranny and I wanna know how much I'd need to put into it before i bought it
dod racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 09:26 PM   #6
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Quote:
Just so you know don't put too much money into a t5 they suck. They are usually the first drive train component that breaks on a beefed stang. Instead of dumping money into it replace it with something better. That's my 2 cents.
While the stock one might not be real strong when expected to hold up against moderate hp, The "Super Duty"/"World Class"/T-5z is a stout tranny. Many people off the board can vouge for that. Me, Unit, etc... My T-5z held up awesome, and I was very pleased with it.
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 01:23 AM   #7
Kamaro Killer
Mustang Enthusiast

Ok, well I've got another question. I've been thinking about getting a new shifter, rather than the stock one I have. Do you think I'd be better off just saving to buy a better tranny, or will a Pro 5.0 shifter fit on both a T-5 and a super duty T-5?

BTW, where can I buy a super duty T-5, all I see are ads for T-5's?
Old 04-06-2002, 01:58 AM   #8
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

You can buy a "Super Duty" T-5 from Jegs. And a PRO 5.0 will fit the regular T-5, and the T-5z. It just depends on what your goals are for the car. If you want to go 11's or less, or run at the track all the time on slicks, you might want to check into a TKO II, or something of that nature.
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote