MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-01-2003, 06:58 PM   #1
87 GT MUSTANG
Registered Member

Thumbs down engine putter's

i was wondering if anybody might be able to help me out with a little problem i just seemed to notice today. I started my car up and it sounded like i had an exhaust leak, so i looked around the vehicle and noticed it was coming from in the engine. I popped the hood and it got louder ofcourse with the hood open and it sounds like the puttering sound is coming from inside the valve cover on the passenger side closest to the firewall. I was wondering if this could be a rocker or a lifter maybe and what could the potential be to fix it if need be, could it progress and get worse or should i just live with it. The engine is stock except for your basic bolt ons and i have 154000 km's on the car. My vehicle is a 1995 ford mustang gt. Also today i was under my vehicle and noticed that their was a pipe that comes out from the catylytic converter and goes all the way to the front of the vehicle is not connected, Could this be for the smog pump or possibly the egr valve or what exactly does it do, and with it not being connected what could it cause my vehicle to do, i notice i am getting bad gas milage as well so maybe this could be the culprit, i get about 250km's per tank if i am lucky. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-01-2003, 08:11 PM   #2
horsesnake95
Registered Member

Well that pipe is for emissions and should be hooked up..... Not sure how much of a difference it will make in gas milage though. Depending on where it's unhooked that could be the noise your hearing too.
horsesnake95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 08:16 PM   #3
84LX89GT
Mustangs

That is the air injection line from the air pump to the 3-way oxidizing catalytic converter (the one farthest down the exhaust pipe) There are the two lines coming from the catalytic converters, join together and go up and connect to the air pump. If this is disconnected you will have a fairly bad exhaust leak and it won't oxidize/react with the unburnt fuel being sent down the exhaust pipe. Having this disconnected will cause you to have a loud exhaust leak and possibly plug the catalytic converters because they won't be near as efficient at burning up the fuel because that type of catalytic converter requires a supply of air to catalyze a reaction with the fuel.

If you go to any Ford dealership or maybe an outlet parts store, you should be able to get you that line. It shouldn't be very expensive and it shouldn't be that hard to install either.

Good luck

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 11:20 AM   #4
87 GT MUSTANG
Registered Member

Wink

thanx for the advice so far guys.